Life > Experiences

International Women’s Day: A Reflection on Womanhood

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

International Women’s Day calls for a period of reflection on what it means to be a woman. Womanhood, I feel, is more than a title or a biological truth. It is a manner of being and living that is both powerful and gentle, strong and caring. It is a celebration of diversity and intersectionality, as well as an acknowledgment of the diverse and multifaceted experiences of women worldwide.

The experience of womanhood is different for each woman and is not always synonymous with femininity. For others who do not identify as cis-women, social expectations and prejudice may complicate the experience of femininity. Transgender women and nonbinary persons may encounter significant difficulties navigating gendered areas, receiving access to healthcare and legal support and dealing with harassment and violence. As a result, some individuals might feel excluded or frustrated by the restrictions of the gender binary and cultural gender norms. When it comes to womanhood, it’s crucial to listen to and honor the specific experiences and sentiments of transgender women and nonbinary people and to strive toward establishing a society where all persons may feel secure, appreciated and supported in their gender identities. 

I am conscious that my experience as a woman differs substantially from that of individuals who identify as LGBTQ, people of a different color, people of different financial status and so on. But, as I think about my introductory stint with womanhood, I am struck by the intricacy and depth of the experience. Womanhood is about the experiences and identities that define us as beings, not just physiology or biology. It is about the relationships we form with others, the love we express and receive from others and the hardships and challenges that shape our character.

As a woman, I am empowered by the many women who have gone before me, those who battled for our rights and liberties and paved the way for us to live our lives on our own conditions. I am also inspired by today’s women, who keep on advocating for growth and transformation while refusing to be silenced in the midst of oppression. But most of all, I am inspired by the women in my life, especially my mother, sister, friends and other female figures who have fostered my development and presented what it means to be compelling, self-reliant and compassionate. They have taught me that womanhood is a collection of individuals who support and uplift one another, rather than a solitary experience. As I explore the ups and downs of womanhood and create my own terms, I appreciate the significance of this day because womanhood is like springtime: a season of liveliness, transformation and exploration.

Wafa is a second-year Comparative Literature Major on the pre-med track at UCLA. Shes's on the editorial team where she hopes to cover topics on politics, beauty, pop culture, and everything in between.