Now That You’ve Graduated, Here Are 5 Fun Activities You Have The Time To Do

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

You did it  – you plowed through the Zoom fatigue, sat through awkward lectures where no one had their camera on, and ultimately made the best of a rough situation and now are finally a college graduate! As you indulge in a well-deserved break, it could also be fun to pick up a new hobby before you take the next steps of your life. Here are five easy, low-commitment activities to fill your summer days with: 

Happy college grad throwing sparkles
Photo by Joshua McKnight from Pexels

Learn how to play the ukulele

If you’ve ever wanted to get into music, the ukulele is the perfect place to start. Not only is it a lot simpler than the guitar, but you won’t break the bank trying to buy one of your own. It’s small, it’s portable and with only a handful of chords, you’ll be able to play hundreds of songs. I grew up playing the ukulele and absolutely love it, so why not give it a shot? 

Write calligraphy

Especially if you’re going to school again in the fall, learning calligraphy could really spice up your notes and help your studying process. There are a million tutorials on Youtube, as well as print-out stencils and guides online to help you achieve that Instagram-worthy handwriting. If you’re like me and are motivated by pretty, put-together notes, then calligraphy is a great skill to learn. 

Upcycle your clothes

You’ve just graduated college and chances are you feel like a reinvented woman. My advice? Match that energy with a newly upcycled wardrobe that helps you to give off the confidence you already have within you. While sewing can be a little daunting, upcycling is a fun way to personalize the pieces in your closet while saving money in the long run. 

Become a plant mom

No activity exudes more good energy than shopping at a plant nursery. Whether you just want a little succulent for your desk or an herb garden on your balcony, taking care of plants could be the wholesome side project of your summer. 

Take up a sport (watching counts too)

Summer is the time to be active! Drag your friends with you to the beach for some volleyball, or maybe to the courts for a round of basketball, or to the park for an impromptu soccer match. Or, if you prefer, drag your friends indoors for a game day and let the cheering commence. Sometimes, yelling at the TV in support of your favorite sports team is just as fun as playing the sport itself. 

Female students throw their graduation caps in the air.
Photo by Pixabay from Pexels
With a huge milestone behind you, I hope you look to the future ambitiously but also reflect on the past and feel proud of what you have achieved so far. After a stressful year, be sure to take the time to unwind and indulge yourself in something fun every day because you deserve it. I wish the class of 2021 all the best and cannot wait to see the amazing things you do! 

Audrie is a fourth-year student from Honolulu, Hawaii, majoring in Human Biology Society and minoring in Anthropology. Her favorite things to talk about are self-care, brunch, and her cat. She also really loves the beach and anything matcha flavored! In her free time, you can catch her shopping for records, books, and Trader Joe's snacks.