Career > Money

Looking to Make Extra Cash on Your Own Schedule? Try These Ideas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Being a student might be a full-time job, but as far as paychecks go, it’s a paradox. For many of us, beyond the anticipated collegiate obligations (attending lectures, writing papers, going to parties) lurks the unfortunate fact that these activities require funds. Being low on cash and feeling like there’s nothing you can do about it is not fun, and committing to a job in retail or dining, for instance, can be difficult when school is your priority (and your schedule has to reflect it). 

That said, though money isn’t necessarily freedom, the two sometimes appear dangerously related. These side hustles will help you earn your “freedom” without losing too much of it in the process.

Sell your clothes

No application, no strict schedule—you choose how much you work and when. Your bedroom is quite literally your workplace and your phone is the only equipment necessary. With apps like Depop, Poshmark, ThredUp and Tradesy, you can sign up and start selling whenever!

Do some online freelance work

For the free spirit: freelancing means picking up jobs in pretty much any field you want. Some popular options for college students include online tutoring (whether it’s K-12 general education, college prep, sports, music, or peer tutoring for specific classes), designing (logos, posters, social media posts), blogging and social media marketing.

Participate in surveys & research studies

Just want to sit in bed with a cup of coffee and your computer? Researchers and survey sites will actually pay you to fill out their online surveys and questionnaires. A few tried-and-true websites include Survey Junkie, American Consumer Opinion and Respondent. Or, if you’re looking for something a little more interactive, you can do a quick Google search and see if your university is seeking research subjects! UCLA’s Semel Insitute has some here.

Sell your art 

For all the creatives who are down to multi-task (work on their art and make some extra cash), this is the ideal option. Redbubble makes it super easy to sell stickers, and Etsy is a great platform for selling all kinds of art. Online stores and Instagram shops are also great options. If you’d rather skip the hassle of a third party, you can sell at local markets or coordinate with customers directly on social media.

Get serious about social media

Shockingly, you do not need to be a mega-influencer with millions of followers to make some money on Instagram, YouTube, or TikTok. With followers in the thousands, you can still reach out to and collaborate with brands to promote their products. With strong, steady content and a grasp of marketing and social media, you’re good to go. And, if you don’t already feel prepared, you can work on free online social media and marketing courses and certifications like these.

If you finished reading this, go ahead and buy yourself a coffee; you deserve it! The toughest part about side-hustling as a college student is getting started, and you’re already halfway there. So, if one of these suits your schedule, all you have to do is switch tabs; you got this!

Kylee is a fourth-year at UCLA double-majoring in Communication and English with a concentration in Creative Writing. Her poems have been published in Train River Poetry, The Mandarin, Open Ceilings, and our very own Westwind (among others). She also writes feature articles for Her Campus at UCLA. In her free time, she acts, drinks way too much coffee, romanticizes everything, and buys more books than she can keep up with.