Career > Money

Let’s Start Saving Money On Takeout With Coupons!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Stop what you are doing and pay attention! I’m about to tell you the secret to saving money on takeout food. The secret? Coupons. They are your new best friend who will help you save lots of cash! 

Most of us are probably busy and don’t have time to cook, so we order fast food. Going out to eat is nice; it’s a change of scenery and a chance to hang out with some friends. But going out constantly can make it tough to save money. In the moment, we might not see how it affects us, but eventually, we start to notice a pattern of not being able to keep money in our pockets. For instance, every time I go to campus, I end up buying Panda Express, Subway, Blaze Pizza, Taco Bell or Yoshinoya. I go to school four days a week, so you can bet that I am spending $20, if not more, on fast food every day. Then I go to work on the weekends and spend even more money on food. It’s a horrible cycle, but I often just can’t find the time or motivation after a long day.

So, I started to check the weekly deals that are sent to my email and downloaded fast food apps. One word to describe them: amazing. You all need to jump on the bandwagon ASAP. I have found deals that have left me utterly shocked at how much I can save. For example, Yoshinoya offers a coupon that allows you to buy two large bowls for about $12. A regular bowl cost about eight dollars, and you’re telling me I can get two large bowls for $12? I’ll take it!

You might think it’s embarrassing to use coupons, but I am here to tell you that there is no need to be shy about it. Why spend more when we can save a few extra bucks? Even though it can be a bit time-consuming, I am always down to save a few dollars if I can. One thing that helped me get over the awkward feeling was ordering online and using the coupons offered there. I highly suggest doing this if you are hesitant on taking advantage of weekly deals.

I have listed a few fast food chains that have coupons not only delivered to your email address but also listed on their apps. Most of the ones I listed I have used and can vouch for their usefulness:

• Wendy’s
  • Subway 
  • Carl’s Jr.
  • Pollo Loco
  • Yoshinoya 
  • McDonald’s
  • Burger King 
  • Domino’s Pizza
  • Jack in the Box 
  • Wienerschnitzel
  • Popeyes Louisiana Kitchen

Although not every fast food offers coupons, they usually all have a rewards system. Below I have listed the three apps that I use for their rewards. Keep in mind there are others out there, these are just the ones that I have tried out! Every time I order, I get points, and eventually, I’m able to redeem my accumulated points for a meal. So, keep in mind that if you are going to be spending money, make sure to get those points.

• Chick-fil-a 
  • Starbucks 
  • Taco Bell

Saving money is important, especially with prices rising everywhere and the struggle of finding time to cook at home. Remember that it doesn’t hurt to save, so if you can, make sure to take advantage of these deals. I highly suggest using coupons, because they can be your new best friends who are here to help you save a few extra bucks.

Maria Alfaro is a fourth year student at UCLA majoring in Sociology and minoring in Spanish. She joined HerCampus at UCLA in 2021 and ever since has been able to do what she enjoys; write and share her stories with everyone. Her love for journalism grows with each story she gets to write. She loves to meet new people and learn new things. In her free time you can find her exploring the city of LA, dancing, binge-watching, blogging or relaxing.