Career

It’s Not Too Late: Tips For Landing A Summer Internship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

If you’re like me then the scramble has begun. There is a month left of Spring Quarter, and I have given little thought to summer internships. Most people say to apply the quarter before you want to start interning because multiple internships have an application deadline of March 30th. But don’t worry if you also didn’t meet the deadline, I’ve got your back! Here are a few tips for landing summer internships:

Join Handshake

This one might seem obvious, but I was not aware of this platform till recently. Handshake offers so many unique internships, some of which are only available through your university. It also provides a ton of options for internships that start later in the summer and are still taking applications from the end of May to early June. Even if the application deadline has passed, it is always worth a shot to email your resume to the employer in case there’s another last-minute opening. 

Cold-emailing

Cold-emailing is one of the scariest and most rewarding tasks a student can do. Most small businesses don’t post listings for internships, but they can definitely use the extra help. These internships may not be paid, but from what I’ve heard, they are usually the most rewarding as you get to complete more hands-on tasks than you would at a large corporation. Randomly reach out to these businesses to get to know about them and put yourself on their map. When cold-emailing it’s important to tell a little bit about yourself and what you find special about the business you are emailing. Make sure to include your credentials and for good measure attach your resume below!

Take a look over your resume

Sometimes it really comes down to the minor details, and a little change in your resume is all it takes to convince an employer. The career center at your school provides a wonderful opportunity to have professionals look over and edit your resume. Additionally, VMock is an amazing AI tool that compares your resume and helps you figure out a strong presentation (UCLA students get 10 free generations, yay!). Paying attention to these small details may land you an internship at places that are not even looking for interns!

With the quick-paced quarter system, it is quite easy for summer internships to slip our minds. Hopefully, these small tips will give you an idea of where to look and what to focus on as the summer reals in. It may seem like multiple deadlines have passed, but if you look in the right places, you’ll be sure to land yourself a great experience. Remember it doesn’t matter whether you find a big-name company or a small firm, it’s the experience you gather that will help catalyze your career. We all feel the pressure coming around the spring quarter to make our plans for the summer, and even though internships are great learning experiences, it’s okay to take a summer off yourself. Relax; you definitely deserve it.

Kajal is a second year political science major at UCLA . In her free time she enjoys reading, writing, and occasionally crocheting.