I Started Off 2023 With A $0 Jonas Brothers Concert

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

On January 7, I got the chance to see the Jonas Brothers for free at the Banc of California Stadium. This was part of a two-day concert as a buildup for the College Football Playoff National Championship game on January 9.

When my roommate and I got to the stadium at 4:30 pm, there was already a long line to get in. We stood in line for an hour and a half until the gates finally opened at 6 pm. Once we got our chicken tenders, fries and drinks, we found seats at the closest section to the stage (since seats weren’t assigned).

Em Beihold at AT&T Playoff Playlist Live
Original photo by Rio Wakura

After an hour of college football ads and DJ Hannah Rad pumping up the crowd with throwback songs, singer-songwriter Em Beihold opened the concert with a few songs. Beihold, known for singing “Until I Found You (Em Beihold Version)“, had a great stage presence and the crowd was very hyped up.

Duckwrth at AT&T Playoff Concert
Original photo by Rio Wakura

The next opening act was rapper and singer-songwriter Duckwrth. He showed off his dance skills and hit songs, which ranged from R&B to hip-hop/rap. Former contestants from the TV series The Bachelorette entertained the crowd in between performances with fun quizzes.

Jonas Brothers at AT&T Playoff Playlist Live
Original photo by Rio Wakura

In the last hour of the concert, the Jonas Brothers performed! The stadium was filled with excitement and nostalgia as they sang their songs from the popular 2008 Disney Channel Camp Rock. Even though I only started listening to the Jonas Brothers in 2019, I was moved to hear my favorite songs “Sucker” and “Cake By the Ocean” live. The Brothers revealed that this was their first concert of 2023 and expressed their appreciation for each other and their fans.

Overall, the concert was a blast, and I still can’t believe that it was free! Although the wait time until the Jonas Brothers was long (3 hours), we were entertained by other amazing artists and were able to see them up close. Free or not, I would love to go to another Jonas Brothers concert this year!

Rio is a third-year UCLA business economics student from Japan. In her free time, you can find her hiking, dancing away at concerts, or cafe-hopping!