Tapestry Bare Back Blonde Girl 2
Tapestry Bare Back Blonde Girl 2
Breanna Coon / Her Campus
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

How My Vibrator Changed My Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

For the longest time, I thought it was rare and kind of weird to masturbate as a girl. I felt like males had a monopoly over it because it was just a thing that was discussed and is socially accepted. But what is the difference between us females and them? We all have needs and urges. It was not until my third year of college that I realized I needed to get a handle on my sexual needs independently and not rely on men. I decided to test the waters by purchasing my first vibrator and it was an idea I was thinking about for a few weeks prior to the purchase. But it was not until two of my friends had the idea of going to a random sex shop one day that I got my first vibrator and had my first official visit to a sex shop.

woman wearing red high heels with white socks that say girls rule
Pexels / CoWomen

Honestly, the trip to the sex shop was super fun and my friends made the whole experience comfortable. It is a normal thing to go to a sex shop for whatever reason but it frustrated me that I initially felt outside my comfort zone. I felt awkward asking the manager for the cheapest vibrator (these things are expensive and I am rolling on a college budget). I decided on an internal vibrator that had three different settings and my friends got their own items as well. This whole experience was also a bonding experience with them. After purchasing the vibrator, I contemplated when to use it. I really wanted to use it that same day but I did not have any sexual tendencies or urges. I did not want my first time with it to feel forced or uncomfortable or even rushed for that matter. 

The first time I used my vibrator I was so nervous. It was a mix of nerves and excitement which was kind of the same feelings of losing your virginity. I mean I was no stranger to sexual pleasures but I never used something else to pleasure myself. I cleaned the vibrator with soap and water prior to using it and made sure I was comfortable. I can say with absolute confidence and joy that buying a vibrator was one of the best purchases I have made in the last few months. It got the job done, it felt natural so I do not know why I was so worried, and I definitely recommend it to everyone. It is our right as human beings to have these pleasures, whether it be with someone else or with yourself. The next morning I felt happier, lighter, and just less stressed. There is a great deal of research that proves orgasming reduces stress, helps clear the mind, and it is just good for your health in general. It honestly also improves your sex self with other people. 

Health Vagina Sex Periods Std Feminism
Molly Longest / Her Campus
Do not be afraid to masturbate. Stop thinking it is only for guys. Put yourself and your needs first – all the time. These tools are made for a reason and they are popular for a reason so do not be embarrassed to try something new. Finding a new sexual awakening and trying something different sexually may be uncomfortable at first but honestly so is everything new you do for the first time. Eventually it becomes a norm to you and a norm that has a great deal of benefits. I recommend!!

Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.