Life > Academics

Here’s What I Wish I Knew Before Starting My GEs at UCLA

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Saying that I was severely unprepared for picking my first classes at UCLA would be an understatement. The new student orientation definitely gave a quick rundown of what was going to happen and a few tips and tricks, but looking back (and at my current GPA) there are definitely a few extra things I wish I had considered before clicking the enroll button. So, to all the new Bruins out there, here are some points to consider before you choose your classes:

Subject Matter Really Matters

I can not stress this enough, please check out what the class is about. Yes, the professor may have rave reviews concerning the course’s light workload or how easy the tests are, but trust me, if the subject matter is dull it becomes ten times harder. I say this from experience after having enrolled in Greek archeology (I honestly thought it was Greek mythology) and suffering for a long ten weeks. Even though the class was composed of three simple essays, I fought for my life the whole quarter because I could not stop myself from daydreaming about being anywhere but in that lecture. So, even though there are shining reviews make sure you pick a class that is genuinely interesting to you and a topic you want to explore.

Look Out For Clusters

If you are wondering what a Cluster is, it’s a year-long program focused on a specific interdisciplinary topic that gives credit for a few different GE areas (and your Writing II). I did not take a Cluster, and after hearing about all of my friends’ amazing experiences, I quite regret it. Most of the Clusters have a really cool theme and explore unique subjects for GEs. They are a fantastic way to power through a few GEs in a time-effective manner and are only available to freshmen. While choosing these Clusters, I would recommend you pay close attention to which requirements each Cluster fulfills, so that you don’t double-fulfill requirements you already met with transfer units. Clusters are also a really cool way to meet new people and stay in touch, as you will be taking class with them for the whole year.

Do Not Take An 8am

You’ve probably heard this one over and over, but it’s real. 8am in college is not the same as 8am in high school. If you’re anything like me, do not go near the early classes because they are a recipe for failure. It’s hard to make it to class, and on the days I did make it there I was half asleep and most definitely not paying attention. The time your class starts really impacts the amount of effort you put in. This honestly goes the other way around too, so make sure you don’t have too many classes really late in the evening either cause you probably will have other plans or club meetings at the same time. This is all to say, the time your classes are scheduled is definitely a factor in how you will do in the class.

Going to pick your first classes is quite nerve wracking. With these few tips in mind, you’ll be able to find the class most fitting for you, helping with your long-term success. Just keep in mind that whatever class you choose does not have to be permanent, you have a week or two to get a feel of the material and switch out if you need to. When the time approaches, you’ll be much more prepared and have a better understanding of the classes you need to take. Goodluck Baby Bruins!

Kajal is a second year political science major at UCLA . In her free time she enjoys reading, writing, and occasionally crocheting.