Heartbreak Anthems: 8 Female Rage Songs To Fuel Your Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

This Valentine’s Day, we’ve got the perfect playlist to amplify your strength, independence, and fierce spirit. Dive into our curated selection of female rage anthems that speak directly to the heart of the college experience. Whether you’re embracing the single life, reclaiming your power, or simply going through the winter blues, these tunes are your next anthems. Let this playlist be the soundtrack to your Valentine’s Day – a declaration of independence and a celebration of the powerful woman you are becoming.

“ALL AMERICAN B**CH” OLIVIA RODRIGO

To exclude Olivia from this list would be CRIMINAL. She stands as the it-girl of our generation and a true pop princess that resonates with the very essence of our souls. As the first track on her GUTS album, she masterfully encapsulates the raw power of female rage while delving into the complexity of female emotions. Olivia invites us into her mind and shows us how we never truly get to be upset since we’re always finding reasons to be “…grateful all the time”.

“Cellophane” FKA twigs

“Cellophane” by FKA Twigs stands as my ultimate heartbreak anthem, unraveling the raw and unfiltered truths of love. Twigs skillfully exposes the harsh reality that sometimes the love we believed to be mutual was never reciprocated as it should have been. Through her touching lyrics, she lays bare the painful realization that we endured disrespect in ways we should have never tolerated. “Cellophane” becomes a powerful and emotional journey, granting us access to the intimate diary of Twigs’ lyricism, where every note echoes the depth of heartache and the resilience found within vulnerability.

“female energy, pt.2” Willow

WILLOW’s “Female Energy, Pt. 2” emerges as the anthem for the introspective souls, blending a hot girl vibe with the essence of melancholy. This track becomes a powerful exploration of self-discovery, acceptance, and empowerment for our sad girls. WILLOW’s lyrical journey encourages listeners to embrace vulnerability and accept the complexities of our emotions. Much like many of us, WILLOW resonates with the universal struggle of grappling with emotions and trying to navigate through the blues, creating a heartfelt and relatable narrative.

“hard to Love” Calvin Harris (feat. Jessie Reyez)

Jessie Reyez’s “Hard to Love” serves as an anthem for those who claim love is a challenge, when in reality, they just haven’t met the right person yet. Through her lyrics, Jessie provides a sense of validation, acknowledging that not everyone is meant for us. The song beautifully communicates the idea that self-love is essential, and we must embrace and cherish ourselves on this journey. Reyez’s message encourages listeners to prioritize self-love, recognizing that once that foundation is laid, genuine love from others will naturally follow. In essence, “Hard to Love” becomes a reminder that understanding and appreciating oneself is a lifelong commitment, and through that journey, meaningful connections will blossom.

“Nothing’s new” Rio Romeo

“Nothing’s New” by Rio Romeo becomes the anthem for those who find themselves a little unsure in their situationships or relationships. This song speaks to the heart of those who may be dealing with hurt, since love can be hard at times. It reminds you that you are completely valid in feeling your emotions! However, you always have to remember to prioritize self-care and self-love before extending that love to others. Rio Romeo’s lyrics resonate with the understanding that while love with others may not always be forever, the love we cultivate for ourselves remains a constant and enduring force. In essence, “Nothing’s New” becomes a comforting melody for those seeking solace and a reminder to cherish the everlasting bond with oneself.

“pressure to party” Julia Jacklin

Julia Jacklin’s “Pressure to Party” emerges as the anthem for exploring the complexities of teenage love, especially for us introverts. This song perfectly portrays the societal pressures and expectations that often come with socializing and relationships. Jacklin’s lyrics delve into the internal struggles and insecurities faced by people trying to find young love. In doing so, Jacklin captures the essence of teenage love by shedding light on the internal conflicts and vulnerabilities that often accompany this stage of life.

“ISSUES/HOLD ON” TEYANA TAYLOR

I can’t stress this enough – “Issues/Hold On” by Teyana Taylor has truly shifted my whole existence. It’s hands down the best song I’ve ever heard, capturing the raw anger and frustration that can come with being stuck with someone who just ain’t it. It’s that wake-up call for the girls dealing with toxic relationships or the ones trying to get their besties to drop that toxic dude.

And here’s the thing – even though I’m in a loving relationship, when my boyfriend gets on my nerves, you bet this song is on repeat. It’s like my go-to therapy for those moments. This track speaks to everyone dealing with relationship ups and downs, and it has become my go-to when love gets a bit too real.

“tornado warnings” Sabrina Carpenter

Sabrina Carpenter is the reigning pop princess in my heart, and let’s be real, every song she drops is a certified banger. While I’d love to shout out her entire album, “Tornado Warnings” is the one you can’t miss. I could go on for days about this song, but in a nutshell, this track perfectly captures the moments when we find ourselves in messy love situations. We keep it to ourselves and romanticize the past, but deep down we know it was never that great. Love’s power to blind us is what keeps us excited. Forget the essay, just hit play on “Tornado Warnings” and let the vibes speak for themselves!

Jenny is a second-year Psychology major at UCLA, from Reedley, California. She loves working out, going on iced coffee runs, staying updated with the latest celebrity gossip, and watching early 2000's rom-coms. In her free time, you'll likely find her walking around campus with an iced coffee, music blaring, and always shopping on Bruinwalk.