kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

Give Your Support For Breast Cancer Awareness Month This October

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

October is finally here, meaning that spooky season has arrived! We are ready for pumpkins, candy, costumes and of course, Halloween. However, since October is so heavily clouded by the spirit of Halloween, we may also forget to recognize another important aspect of October: Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Breast Cancer Awareness Month, as implied from its name, is a campaign that lasts for the entire month of October. The campaign’s purpose is to raise more awareness on breast cancer through educating, researching and fundraising. The goal is to reach toward more people in advancing research and support for saving the lives of women affected with breast cancer. 

But why should we even care if we are not actually affected by breast cancer? Well, it’s the fact that we can empower other women who have been affected by breast cancer that gives enough reason to support the campaign. Just by being part of Breast Cancer Awareness Month means that we have the power to motivate, encourage and inspire. Although we may not be affected directly, the campaign emphasizes taking personal responsibility for our health by attending breast screenings just to be sure of our wellness. Doing so can influence friends and family to do the same to check up on themselves.

After all, it’s better to be safe for an early screening rather than having the disease spread by the time you do have a checkup. Breast cancer afflicts many women, in which an “estimated 41,760 women will die from breast cancer in the U.S.” this year, according to the non-profit organization National Breast Cancer Foundation. This large number also highlights the fact that, “Breast cancer is the most common cancer in American women, except for skin cancers.” So, we should care because our support for this campaign could decrease the number of women dying from breast cancer. More than just giving support, we are showing that we care. This care is just enough to give women afflicted with breast cancer the motivation they need to persevere. Having a group of supporters may just give women the confidence to stay strong and hopeful.

As the month continues, we can show support in multiple ways. We can encourage women to attend breast screenings. We can campaign and volunteer in fundraisers or events to publicize breast cancer and its research. Of course, support can also come in the form of wearing pink. This is the month to do something great, and what better way than to spread recognition of the campaign by wearing pink! So, look forward to not only spooky season but also Breast Cancer Awareness season this month!

Jamie Vu

UCLA '23

Jamie is a second year student at UCLA. She loves to listen to music and enjoys going to concerts and listening to artists live. During her free time, she likes to go out and explore.
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.