Life > Experiences

Finding Fall : How To Connect With Nature This Autumn

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

When the leaves start to turn burnt orange and fall from the trees, you know the season of Ugg booties and cardigans has arrived. Each year, the smell of cinnamon piping out of bakery vents and pumpkin spice everything comes around. Cozy blankets and fireplaces lit along with scented candles make you want to do nothing but stay inside all day and night, if you can. When I think of fall, I think of these things; I don’t picture all of the beauty that comes with the huge change that nature is undertaking. But although there is nothing wrong with celebrating inside, I think the true magic of autumn is outside and ready for us to rediscover.

Walking outside and smelling the difference in the air is indescribable. No more pollen from summer, mostly crisp breezes – especially in the morning – and a unique sense of renewal. Fall is cozy, and though there is honestly no need to be outdoors (apart from walking to get to places), that is the beauty. It’s about connecting with the nature around you and realizing that it is starting anew, and you can too. 

I find it so inspirational to physically feel the weather change. Sitting outside and reading a book on steep steps in a mild coat is an oddly specific experience but it really makes me feel connected to nature. I recommend, in your personal search for connecting, to take deep breaths outside and just walk around somewhere new. Wandering through trees and grass can be therapeutic and help you ground. Grounding is when you ditch your shoes and stand barefoot in some grass, dirt or anything natural. Along with grounding, taking a hike and sipping on some tea can really change your outlook. 

It may not seem like attaching ourselves to nature and allowing our bodies to be embedded in it would make much of a difference. However, these activities, especially grounding, actually create a neurological response and can even change your body’s biochemistry. There have been many studies that show the reduction of anxiety, inflammation, cardiovascular issues and more literally just by standing in nature.

This is exactly why being involved in nature makes a difference. Autumn is the perfect time to allow yourself to slow down and be rejuvenated in nature. Making your relationship to our planet a priority starts with understanding and appreciating the changes it goes through.

Kailey is an English major at UCLA and has her sights set on writing pieces that connect people to nature. Her main goal in her articles is to inspire people to be authentic and chase their passion.