“Feel Like A Brand New Person,” But Don’t Make The Same Old Mistakes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Just like the Tame Impala song, it’s empowering to feel like a brand new person, but let’s not make the same old mistakes! Although it’s October, you can start your “New Year, New Me” now. Let’s dive in and start reflecting.

Also, feel free to listen to the songs linked while reading!

who do I want to be?

We can start by doing some self-reflection. Sometimes, it might feel like the less you know about yourself, the better, but we need to reflect to grow. Grab your journal and get deep into your thoughts!

Make some short-term and long-term goals. But, don’t put too much pressure on yourself! Mix some fun goals in there and some small and realistic bucket list items. Healthy stress can motivate us, but worrying about achieving this by a specific time frame can be constricting!

Reevaluate + change the environment 

Change your space and your surroundings. Find new places to explore, study and grow! Having a set and comfortable space to destress and unwind is KEY.

You may be wondering, is it true? AND YES! Your surroundings deeply impact the person you become. Admittedly, changing your environment can be uncomfortable at first, but it allows you to grow and create new habits. Getting comfortable with the uncomfortable will allow you to adapt to change and make you a more diverse person.

As I’ve mentioned, there is always something new to be learned from people. So, put yourself out there and talk to new people! It doesn’t matter if it’s week zero or week 10; you ALWAYS have the opportunity to create more bonds.

Prioritize What’s Important

After you change the environment, you need to prioritize. Prioritize what’s most important and get away from the borderline. Whether it be your friends, career, academics or relationship, you NEED to make time for whatever matters most to you.

Take 10 minutes and write a list of everything that matters to you. Then, take the time to rank their importance. After this, you’re ready to start timeboxing and focus on what is most important to you.

Set Your Routine

Create your perfect daily routine! At this point, we can acknowledge it: Yes, I’m changing! Grab your lemon water and stretch it out. It’s nice to get moving when you get up to bring some structure to your day. You can have fun doing this whether you want to start your day with exercise at Wooden (with the intimidating gym bros), a walk around Drake Stadium or jamming to your favorite get-ready playlist!

Now you can work the rest of your day around classes, work and extracurriculars. This is a LOT to balance, but you are capable of achieving this equilibrium (I have literally only started using that word since taking the Chem 14 series lol).

Also, having a night routine that gives you time to reflect and engage in self-care will allow you to unwind. Face masks, watching Gossip Girl (or another classic show from the 2000s) and just talking about your TikTok FYP with your best friend are all comforting, so this can definitely help you end your day strong.

Pro tip: Make sure to have a flexible routine or else you run the risk of getting disappointed when you don’t stay on schedule (coming from personal experience).

explore new activities

We’ve set a routine and now we have room to try new things! Just let it happen and finally, try those bucket list items from your journal. (I think at this point, you can tell that I am a Tame Impala fan.)

Going to a drive-in, becoming a pickleball master and learning how to surf are all fun bucket list goals. Dive into your niche and create moments that you can look forward to.

Remember: avoid negative language + celebrate small wins

Avoid using negative words. Although sometimes it feels like we only go backwards, it’s absolutely critical to praise and be proud of ourselves. 

Celebrate those small wins! You got an A on your Chem14A exam? Great, let’s go to $5 Pizookie Tuesdays! You went to the gym every other day this week? Let’s go to brunch and go thrifting with the girls! Let’s go to Century City because you were the LS7C class hero and volunteered to answer the discussion question (although the TA throws a ball at the person she wants to call on anyway)!

I want you to know that I am proud of you. You are making a difference in this world, you are beautiful and you will grow into the person you want to become!

Danielle is a second-year from Temecula, CA. Her articles range from sharing interviews with influential figures, discussing the ups and downs of being a young woman in LA, and spreading positive energy through diverse stories! Happy reading!