This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

I know it’s the middle of fall and it was just midterms season, but as a dopamine dressing devotee, I am a little terrified of the sea of dark hoodies and sweaters that will envelope us come finals season based on the preview I got recently. The bleakness of winter usually gets reflected in the on-campus wardrobe choices, so I have decided take action. Allow me to bring you the joys of a colorful world, my friends tempted by the darkness.

Dopamine dressing focuses on wearing clothes that make you feel happy, so if black is your favorite color, then sure, wear it everyday if that will bring you the most bliss. However, if you’re willing to experiment and switch it up a bit, I recommend incorporating a pop of color in your wardrobe to instantly lift your mood. Here’s 5 ways to look fabulous this fall and winter, with dopamine dressing:

Layer up!

Sweater, sweatshirts, hoodies, jackets, coat and cardigans—outer layers pack the biggest and brightest pop. Pair yellow and orange bomber jackets with your favorite denim and you’ll be an effortlessly stylish ray of sunshine no matter where you go or how cloudy the day might be. Colorful knitwear in pastels is also an option if you want to hold on to the essence of spring this fall. Also try: silly hoodies in all shades of the rainbow.

Got long legs?

Pants, trousers and denim—bright pants with prints on them have been in for the last couple months, and elevated in popularity thanks to the Barbie movie, so why not give those sage green trousers at the thrift store a shot? Show off those legs with confidence as you strut down Bruin Walk. If you want a safer option, light-wash, baby blue jeans are a wardrobe staple that you might have lying around. Also try: ditch the same old black and deep blue denim for pastel denim.

step in style

Sneakers and boots—who doesn’t love fun, hot-pink Converse and holographic boots? A vibrant shoe choice is bound to give you a little extra pep in your step (and perhaps luck) as you walk a mile to take your midterms and finals. These can be styled sporty or chic and make great long-term additions to your closet if you’re trying to incorporate dopamine dressing into your year-round wardrobe. Bonus points if you find fluffy, printed socks. Also try: colorful shoelaces.

a little color just for you

Bracelets, beads and bangles—if you’re looking for something subtler, colorful hand accessories are the way to go! They won’t draw attention to you in a crowd, but they will definitely catch your eye as you’re writing or typing away during the day, instantly cleansing your vision and uplifting your mood. I like to have beaded bracelets in all shades to match with my colorful outfits, or to elevate an otherwise neutral combination. Also try: light watch straps.

Accessorize, and then accessorize some more

Scarves, caps, sunglasses, belts, etc.—little things do make a difference! If you are not big on wrist wear and think it weighs your hands down, I suggest keeping yourself warm with a bright scarf or cap. Less noticeable tinted sunglasses and shaded belts are also a sweet way to sneak some joy into your fits. Sometimes even putting enamel pins in all hues on your daily backpack does the trick. It’s all about placement that feels comfortable for you, while also stimulating your senses visually. Also try: printed totes and fluffy gadget covers.

As a dedicated dopamine dresser, I cannot recommend it enough, especially on a terribly sad morning when you need an anchor to elevate your mood. Combine a vibrant outfit with a color-pop in your makeup and accessories and you’re all set to brighten up the campus with your newfound joy and radiance (literally)! And if all else fails, at least you can make it to the end of the day knowing that you reminded a little kid on the street of all things rainbow and sunshine.

Swathya is a third-year Astrophysics major at UCLA, from New Delhi, India. A poet at her core, she spends a lot of time picking apart the intricacies of modern life to reconstruct the bigger picture as a way to find her place within the enigmatic universe. When she is not surrounded by a galaxy of words—academic and creative—she loves surrounding herself with people she can go on little adventures with to find the best caffeine and sugary treats in town.