Culture > News

CicLAvia Is Coming To Mid City And Pico Union This Weekend! Here’s What You Need To Know

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

CicLAvia is hosting their second event of the year this Sunday, April 16, 2023.

This time, CicLAvia will connect Mid City and Pico Union, closing the streets to cars. People can partake in this event in any way they feel comfortable. They can walk, skate, bike, jog, dance or do anything else that comes to mind. 

CicLAvia has been hosting these events since 2010. They have taken place everywhere such as Hollywood, Echo Park, Downtown LA, Chinatown and more. The purpose of CicLAvia is to emphasize good health by providing a day of fun-filled activities outdoors. They also promote connectivity and want people to socialize with each other. These events do their best to transform streets into one big public park for a few hours, so people can come together and have fun.

As people partake in this event, they have the chance to explore new areas and check out each neighborhood’s cool spots. This past February, CicLAvia hosted its first event of the year in The Valley. The San Fernando Valley is quite different from Mid City/Pico Union, with each area boasting different foods, activities and more. The point of the events is to keep it fresh and make sure people can see the community and culture of the different cities. 

The event will start at 9 a.m. and go until 4 p.m. And it is totally free! Once at the event, traffic will flow the same way as it does for cars; the only difference is that instead of cars it will be people walking on the streets. 

Also, the event will be four miles long, but people are not required to walk all the miles if they do not feel comfortable. 

At the event, there will be three hubs that are considered resting areas: Mid City Hub, Arlington Heights Hub and Pico Union Hub. At the hubs, people can expect informational materials, merchandise and first aid booths. They will also have free water refill stations and restrooms. If a bike is in need of repair, staff will repair it for free. There will be many other activities at these hubs. 

If people would like to know what is around the area they can use CicLAvia’s interactive digital map. The map shows the businesses, foods and other cool spots around the event. 

CicLAvia will hold a range of additional events later in the year. In case you like to plan ahead, here is a list of future events:

• CicLAmini – Watts on May 21 
  • CicLAvia – South LA on June 18 
  • CicLAvia – Koreatown meets Hollywood on August 20 
  • CicLAmini – North Hollywood on September 17 
  • CicLAvia – Heart of LA on October 15 
  • CicLAvia – South LA on December 3

For more information on this event or future events, feel free to check out the CicLAvia website

Maria Alfaro is a fourth year student at UCLA majoring in Sociology and minoring in Spanish. She joined HerCampus at UCLA in 2021 and ever since has been able to do what she enjoys; write and share her stories with everyone. Her love for journalism grows with each story she gets to write. She loves to meet new people and learn new things. In her free time you can find her exploring the city of LA, dancing, binge-watching, blogging or relaxing.