Wellness > Health

Bloated From The Dining Halls? How I manage My Sensitive Stomach In College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

When I moved to college, I was overly prepared with command strips, Brita filters and charging cables. Unpacking into my dorm was a breeze, but I quickly encountered the most distressing issue that continued to haunt me for most of my freshman year: my stomach would not stop hurting. Because I’m a proud Bruin and a non-picky eater, I tried all the foods that seemed even mildly appetizing, but while eating the food was a delightful process, I always ended up barely being able to walk an hour later from the painful bloating. It got to the point where it started affecting my mental and physical health. I was in constant pain, my Amazon order history was filled with anti-gas pills, I stressed about what to eat and none of my clothes fit.

Although it took me almost a year to figure it out, I’m happy to report that I’ve cracked the code on how to keep my sensitive stomach in check during the school year. Using these five products and tips below, I’ve managed to control my stomach issues with far more success: 

Add, Don’t Subtract: Greek Yogurt

I think the approach of slowly eliminating possible bloating triggers can easily become a dangerous slope for cutting off food groups. Instead, I have a “pregame” food that I consume before any of my actual meals. While I “pregame” my stomach with Greek yogurt, your “pregame” may be a different food. I happen to love yogurt, but if you don’t, probiotic pills may be an easier alternative. This helped me tremendously because I was able to increase my protein intake, get my probiotics in and be less hungry when I got to the dining halls. The main issue I previously had was eating way too fast because I would wait until I was starving to go with friends. The combination of eating rapidly and the excessive amount of sodium in the food caused me massive regret hours later.

The “Hot N Cold” Method: in Katy Perry We Trust

I used to chug iced coffee as soon as I woke up, which meant I was trying not to shit myself while getting attendance credit in my discussions. The cold sweats, stomachaches and anxiety over where the closest restroom was made me start questioning if my iced coffee was worth it (kind of?). I’m a changed woman now and always make sure to drink hot tea (earl grey is my favorite) in the morning before eating anything. I find that my stomach feels the most comfortable when I space out my morning drink and my first meal so I always grab my morning tea on my way to class, sip it in lecture (while praying it makes me look mysterious and effortlessly cool) and then grab breakfast after class. Remember, hot and then cold!

Bottoms Up: My Favorite Drink

Maesil is a traditional Korean plum extract I swear by for gassy stomachs. Although this one from Amazon pales in comparison to my grandma’s homemade version, it has saved me multiple times. Maesil is commonly served in Korean households because it’s believed to help with secreting digestive enzymes (no idea if this is true). Just pour about two tablespoons of the extract for every ½ cup of ice water and stir. As for the taste, I think it tastes tangy and refreshing and reminds me of my childhood. My roommate’s initial review: “It’s like watered-down balsamic vinegar mixed with cranberry juice.” Pro tip: use sparkling water and these True Lime packets to make it taste 1,000 times better!!

My Favorite Ménage à Trois

Don’t worry, we’re not switching subjects that quickly. But we are talking about a subject I feel equally excited about. If you’re like me, I need a minimum of three drinks for a productive study session. The rules are simple: one drink must be iced water (to keep us hydrated while we sweat and cry in the library), the second must be caffeinated (how else will I stay awake?) and the third must be Teazen. I stumbled across these cute kombucha packets when I was visiting Korea and they taste so good! They’re the ideal fun drink — fizzy, individually packaged, plenty of flavors (ex: lemon, mixed berry, peach) and loaded with probiotics and prebiotics. Not only is having three drinks just a fun way to stay hydrated and romanticize study sessions, but I also swear the Teazen packets make digesting my meals a breeze. 

Back to the Basics: Sandwiches

Despite my belief that food is truly one of the biggest delights in the world, I quickly got tired of the repetitive menu (and this is even with UCLA dining being ranked #1). This led to sandwiches being my go-to meal. I love how I can pick exactly what combination of proteins, vegetables and condiments I want at The Study and the Subway on campus. If you’re a Subway hater, I hate to break it to you but it’s definitely your lack of ingredient-pairing skills, not Subway’s fault. I find sandwiches to be so much easier on the stomach than a dish from the dining hall that you have no idea how it’s been prepared. Just grab a sandwich and take it on the go; they’re perfect for when you’ll be on campus all day.

For those of us with sensitive stomachs, eating at the dining hall can become a stressful event that’s difficult to navigate. While these products and tips help me manage my bloating tremendously, it’s important to note that occasionally bloating is inevitable and completely normal. The best we can do is make sure we eat nutritious meals, listen to our bodies and stay consistent with these tips.

Hannah is a third-year student at UCLA, majoring in Psychology. In her free time, she loves going to the beach, grabbing coffee, and painting her nails.