Black History Month Events You Should Attend At UCLA

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

UCLA has lots of events celebrating Black History Month that are worth looking into. There are many events hosted by different clubs and organizations under various categories, so there is truly something for everyone! Check out some of the wonderful options below:

Black Cinema in the Centers

The Black Bruin Resource Center, or the BBRC, is continuously hosting Black Cinema Week in honor of Black History Month. They ask that you continue to join them in their celebration throughout the month. These events take place over the course of two hours in the BBRC or in the BCC depending on the day of the week. The BBRC posts on its Instagram about important events coming up and has also been posting videos and photos in celebration of Black History Month. Each night of the week has a different movie screening!

Dates and Times: Monday February 6 – From 6 to 8pm – The Wiz 

Tuesday February 7 – From 6 to 8pm – The Goofy Movie

Wednesday February 8 – From 6 to 8pm – The Great Debaters 

Location: Black Bruin Resource Center (Kerkhoff 168)

Dates and Times: Thursday February 9 – From 6 to 8pm – 42 

Friday, February 10 – From 6 to 8pm – Coming to America

Saturday, February 11 – From 1 to 5pm – Bad Boys and Bad Boys 2 (double feature) 

Location: Black Community Center on The Hill (Rieber Hall 115)

UCLA Health – Black History Month Blood Drive

The UCLA Blood and Platelet Center is hosting a blood drive alongside many other campus organizations for Black History Month. They state that the donation process only takes about an hour from the time you get there to the time you leave and the donation itself generally takes 8-10 minutes. In their description, it says there will be free food, t-shirts and more. If you would like to look into this event or their future events, their Twitter handle is @donateblooducla and their Instagrams are @uclabloodandplateletcenter and @bruinsgiveblood.

Dates and Times: Saturday February 4 – Starting at 11:30am

Location: Rieber Hall Fireside Lounge 

Black History Month Music Listening Party 

The Black Bruin Resource Center asks you to join them as they host a music listening party for Black History Month at the Black Community Center! Check out their other events for the week through the school website community.ucla.edu Winter Quarter Schedule. They are hosting many events other than ones solely dedicated to Black History Month too! If you are interested in coming to this event or some of their future events you can follow them on instagram @uclabbrc. 

Dates and Times: Monday February 13 – From 7 to 9pm 

Black History Month is a time for celebrating heroes who have changed the course of history and our world forever. The UCLA sports website has a section called ‘Speaking Up’ where student-athletes across all sports give quotes about what Black History Month means to them that are very powerful and I encourage you to read. There are many other resources online that can point you toward events, literature or even clubs that you should look into if you haven’t already. All of these can be reached on UCLA’s general website!

Kailey is an English major at UCLA and has her sights set on writing pieces that connect people to nature. Her main goal in her articles is to inspire people to be authentic and chase their passion.