Balancing My Hectic Wednesday: A Day In The Life Of A UCLA Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Wednesday is by far my busiest day of the week. Between classes, I have club meetings, homework and interviews. Finding balance in a chaotic day like my Wednesdays can be difficult, but it’s so important to find some “me time” in between the chaos.

I always start my day off with the essential cup of coffee because without it I am simply not human. Today I had to get my iced vanilla latte from Kerckhoff (even though the one from Anderson Cafe is arguably better) since I had a 9AM interview! This interview was for an internship with Daily Bruin’s Outreach Team, so I was excited yet nervous to start the craziest day of the week with a major event. After my interview, I walked back to my room and took a nap before I ACTUALLY began my day.

10:30AM rolled around and I felt like being active which prompted me to go for a run. The run was a great way to get outside for some fresh air and reflect on my tasks for the day. Getting ready after a good workout is always satisfying because it truly ties together my look good, feel good, do good mentality. 

On my walk to Anderson Hall I called my best friend and caught up on everything from school to life in general. These short talks always make my walks go by faster and give me a boost of happiness to just have a casual conversation. I did work in the library for about two hours before I got to my 2PM Econ41 lecture.

Lecture was a little over an hour, and afterwards I went back to Anderson to review my notes and work on this week’s homework. When it hit 4PM I was ready to leave because, personally, I can only focus in hour periods. In my hour break before class I went for a walk, grabbed a snack and listened to music. These little breaks are crucial in my busy days since it’s the only gap where my mind is not bombarded with processing new information. 

At 5PM I had my Political Science 30 Game Theory class which is one of my favorite classes this quarter due to its niche topic. I learned about simple models and how two seemingly different comparisons are more closely related than you would think. Class ended at 6PM, which is the same time that my Her Campus meeting began so I rushed to make it! Luckily I didn’t miss much and got to do a fun brainstorming activity with my editorial group. I walked back to the hill and relaxed in my room for a bit before getting dinner with one of my sorority sisters.

BPlate dinners never disappoint and good company is always a plus! Dinner was probably the highlight of my day since I was able to eat and talk (my two favorite things to do). I headed back to my room around 9PM and had about an hour left of work on my goal to-do list. After that, I had a self-care night where I did a facial, drank tea and watched Gilmore Girls. Decompressing after such a hectic day is vital for me or else I end up falling asleep thinking about everything that went on throughout the last 24 hours. 

My Wednesdays may be crazy, but I’ve found that making time to do the things I enjoy amidst all the chaos keeps me sane. It’s extremely important to force yourself to schedule “me time” no matter what homework, classes or extra activities you have to do. If you have a particularly busy day in your week, make sure to do something that makes you happy (even if it only occupies ten minutes of your day)!

Hannah is a second-year Economics and Political Science major at UCLA, from Yuba City, California. She enjoys writing about a variety of topics from finance to up-and-coming trends! In her free time she loves baking, going to the beach, exploring the coffee shops of LA, and playing tennis.