Attention Foodies! Black-Owned Restaurants In LA You Can Support For Black History Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

If you’re a foodie looking for ways to support Black History Month, look no further. Eating at these amazing restaurants will both fulfill your food cravings and help support Black-owned small businesses. Here is a list of Black-owned restaurants you can go to in LA this month (and all year!):

Bludso’s bar & que

Originally launched in Compton, California, by Kevin Bludso, Bludso’s Bar & Que is a Texas-style BBQ restaurant loved by many BBQ fans. They serve everything, from family-style (big-portioned) meat to vegetarian salads and cocktails. I recommend getting the classic cornbread with honey butter and coleslaw! For UCLA students, the closest Bludso’s Bar & Que is in Melrose, which is just a 40-minute drive away.

Berbere

Berbere, known as an “unusual vegan restaurant,” is owned by chef Tezeta “Tete” Alemayehu. Specifically, they serve vegan Ethiopian food using high-quality ingredients. The restaurant has a sleek, industrial look inside and a streetside patio outside in Santa Monica, located less than 20 minutes from UCLA. It’s open for breakfast, lunch and dinner!

Poppy + Rose

Located in Flower District, Downtown LA, Poppy + Rose is a must-go brunch spot, open every day from 9AM to 3PM. It was founded by married couple Michael Reed and Kwini Reed who frequently give back to social justice causes through food and financial donations. The restaurant offers a relaxing space on its outdoor patio, surrounded by flower markets in the streets. Poppy + Rose is an hour’s drive away from UCLA.

Baba’s Vegan Cafe

Baba’s Vegan Cafe serves vegan soul food in south LA, open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. It even has a special menu for brunch! It’s an hour’s drive away from UCLA, but is worth going if you want to enjoy a Black family-owned restaurant specializing in African diasporic cuisine!

Sky’s Gourmet Tacos

Known for serving “Mexican food with a splash of soul,” Sky’s Gourmet Tacos was founded by chef Barbara Burrell in 1992. It currently has two locations in LA — Mid City and Marina Del Rey. They serve tacos with various fillings (even lobster!) and have vegan options such as shiitake and potatoes. The closest location to UCLA is in Mid City, less than a 30-minute drive away.

This was a list of Black-owned restaurants in LA that you can support for Black History Month. Your support for Black-owned businesses serves as one step towards reducing racial economic disparities in our city. Let’s work together this month and be aware of whose products and services we consume.

Rio is a third-year UCLA business economics student from Japan. In her free time, you can find her hiking, dancing away at concerts, or cafe-hopping!