9 Things I Learned Hosting My First College Party

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

It’s a Thursday, which means party time at UCLA! You and your roommates have nowhere to go so you decide to throw a party in your tiny, college sized apartment. It’s the first time you’ve ever thrown a college party, so you pretty much have no idea what you are doing. You all figure it out together though and it eventually comes together on a fateful Thursday night. Throwing a party can actually teach you a lot, so remember these nine things when you decide to host your first soiree:

1. Strangers will show up

This should’ve been expected, but I didn’t think party crashers were actually a real thing. Be careful who you let into your party because you never know what they’re going to do and your roommate may end up yelling at one of the strangers because no one knows who he is.

2. You’ll be dead the entire next day

I was so exhausted all that next day after throwing the party. Even though the day was meant for homework, it ended up being a day for watching Netflix and napping.

3. “Jungle Juice” is hardcore

I had never even heard of jungle juice before this party, and I realized that it can be very intense, so make sure you’re careful with what you put in the drink so you don’t make it too strong! You don’t want people getting too crazy.

4. You’ll feel protective over your roommates and apartment 

I found myself making sure all my roommates were okay with what was happening in the apartment. I also made sure to clean up any accidental spills or turn off any stove burners that were accidentally bumped into and turned on during the party (because yes, that happened).

5. You’ll want everyone to leave way earlier than they actually do

When the week catches up with you around midnight, and all you want to do is knock out in your bed, you’re going to be more than ready for everyone to leave so that you can finally crash. Everyone will probably end up staying until around 3am though.

6. Someone will end up crashing on your couch

In my case, a random guy that I had never met before (he was my roommate’s friend) ended up staying the night on our couch. If you’re lucky, the person asleep on your couch will be wearing a minion costume, so at least you’ll get a good laugh out of it. Thank you, Halloween!

7. It is as cliche as you think it is 

When you think of a college party or see one in a scene from a movie, that is what will be happening at your party. Trap music will be playing, people will be dancing, couples will be kissing and some of the party-goes will be playing beer pong. Everything happens as expected. 

8. The clean-up isn’t actually that bad 

On the plus side, since everyone is pretty much just dancing and drinking, the clean up the next day won’t be too bad. When throwing away cups, cans and empty bottles of alcohol and mopping is all you have to do, count me in!

9. You’ll feel safe 

Being in your own home will make you feel more safe and comfortable than you’ve probably ever felt at a party. If I wanted to escape the madness, all I had to do was take a break in my room— probably the best thing about hosting a party because I didn’t have to worry about trying to get home, and I could make sure my friends stayed at my place and were safe too!

Gifs courtesy of Giphy

Emily is a graduate of UCLA and former Senior Editor of Her Campus at UCLA. During her free time, Emily loves to read, travel and binge-watch episodes of Gilmore Girls. She can be reached at emilylentz47@gmail.com.
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.