This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

When people break up it is sad, but at least there was a relationship that happened in the first place. Unrequited love, on the other hand, is rough because there was never even a chance to experience romance with the person. Either you put your feelings out there and he/she did not reciprocate them or you just know that nothing will ever happen romantically with this person you have feelings for. And it’s really hard to get over it. How can you be sad about something that never even happened? The grief you feel may be caused by how much time and energy you spent wanting that person to want you back in return. Just because you never dated him/her does not mean you are not allowed to be sad. Of course, at the end of the day, you will grow from that rejection and heartbreak you are feeling. Here are some tips to get over that person you never had.

Let Yourself Mourn

Though you never got to have a romantic relationship with this person, it is still important to let yourself be sad. You invested energy and time into this person, so now it is time to recover. Whether mourning that crush involves watching cheesy romcoms or eating an entire pint of Ben and Jerry’s ice cream, feel free with your options. You need to accept your emotional state because it is never good to repress your feelings. Being sad about your heartbreak is the best way to start your road to recovery. Just don’t linger in this stage for too long.

Surround Yourself With Friends

Friends are vital when it comes to getting over heartbreak. It is good to reach out for support from the people you love. Having a shoulder to cry on is a lot healthier than isolating yourself from the world. Go out and have fun with your friends too! Crushes come and go, but friends will always have your back.

Get Busy

Have you ever wanted to learn how to do aerial yoga? Well, now is the time to learn how to do it!! After the crushing feeling of romantic rejection, it is important to appreciate your single life. One great aspect of being single is that you can take time to try new hobbies and rediscover old passions. By being busy taking a pole dancing class or learning a new language, you won’t have time to think about your heartbreak.

Be Open to Dating

It is time to get back out there! Moving on from rejection just opens new opportunities for love and romance. Start by signing up for dating apps such as Tinder, Hinge and Bumble. Also, start joining new clubs and going to socials, so you can meet new people. Change up your social routine and get out of your comfort zone. Just be open to new relationships. Even if you want nothing serious, it will help you get out and meet people.

Give Yourself Space 

It is important to take a step back from your crush. I know it is hard to do that since it is hard to step away from someone you care for.  Also, make sure to separate yourself from social media as well. Don’t cyberstalk, because you have to take a break from that unrequiter if you wish to get over the situation. You can’t get over someone if you are constantly reminded of your rejection. Hopefully, one day you will be able to get over it and maybe have them back in your life…But for now, take a break from them.

Understand What You Want In A Relationship

Now is the time to think about what you want in a romantic relationship. It is important to think about the future possibilities of love, and not overanalyze the reasons why your crush did not want you. There is a reason why this relationship did not happen, so take this time to understand what love can actually look like for you.

Treat Yourself

Now is the time to treat yourself! You deserve it. After all the sadness, it is time to live life to the fullest. You can take yourself out to a bougie brunch and splurge on that overpriced avocado toast, or maybe go on a little shopping spree–but stay within a realistic budget!  And, remember, staying in by yourself, postmating and doing a face mask can be great ways to treat yourself. Self-care is vital for your mental health. Self-care allows you to detox the negative view of yourself after having felt rejected by your crush.

Remember That You Deserve Love

It is easy to see yourself in a negative light after having been rejected. Don’t be sad. It is not your loss, the other person just cannot see how great you are. Why want someone who cannot see your strenghts? Just because you got rejected does not mean you are not loveable. Love is out there, you just need to remain positive. After all, anybody would be lucky to be loved by you.

Love seems hard to find until it actually happens. It feels terrible to want someone who does not want you. Don’t let this heartbreak keep you away from living life and being open to love. So for now, enjoy being single and keep your head up high. Your value is not reflected by whether your crush likes you back. Rejection opens life’s door to new possibilities, opportunities and new doors. 

Shayna Freedman is an English major at UCLA. She hopes to become a screenwriter for film and tv after she graduates. Her favorite genres are horror and romance. Shayna is often ranting about feminism when not writing about anything relating to nerd culture. Be careful, she might end up going on an hour rant about the politics in the superhero genre. You can find Shayna writing, reading at the beach, finding the best brunch spots, or out on adventures with her friends.