8 Fun Facts About The 2017 World Series

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

1. It’s Been Awhile!

The last time the LA Dodgers made it to the World Series was in 1988— almost 30 years ago! So obviously, Dodger fans everywhere were pretty hyped to be able to cheer their team on this year.

2. Yikes at Those Prices

World Series ticket prices were off the charts, literally. Tickets in the Dugout club went for $25,000 while tickets in the nosebleed seats went for at least a few hundred dollars. Yikes.

3. Racial Incident 

During Game 3, an incident went down between Astros player Yuli Gurriel and Dodgers player Yu Darvish. Gurriel made a racially insensitive gesture towards Darvish. Due to this incident, Gurriel has been suspended for a few games, although this suspension will not begin until next season.

4. Fast Game

Game 1 of the 2017 World Series was the quickest World Series game in 25 years, lasting a total of 2 hours and 28 minutes. Maybe that has something to do with the near 100 degree weather Los Angeles was experiencing at the time.

5. Not so Fast Game

While game 1 was fairly short, game 5 lasted for a total of 5 hours and 17 minutes making it the second longest World Series game in history. The longest World Series game occurred in 2005, when the Astros lost in a 14 inning game lasting 5 hours and 41 minutes.

6. Home Run Record

The Astros and The Dodgers hit a combined record total of 22 home runs during the 2017 World Series. The previous record was held by the 2002 World Series, in which a total of 21 home runs was achieved.

7. Way to Go Cody Bellinger!

At 22 years old, Cody Bellinger set the record for the youngest player to hit a home run in a World Series game when he hit a three-run home run in game 5.

8. Sad But Record Breaking Loss

Unfortunately for us Dodger’s fans, the Houston Astros took home the win making it the very first time for the Houston Astros to win a World Series. Congrats Astros and better luck to our beloved LA Dodgers next year!

Carly is a features writer for Her Campus at UCLA. In her free time she loves to sing, write, and spend time with her friends and family. 
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.