samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

7 Ways to Study Productively This Midterm Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Sometimes, it feels like professors are just setting you up to fail, but always remember that you are smart and more than capable of passing all your tests. Typical advice given to students is to use flashcards and color coding, but there are other important tips for studying that could be more impactful, such as making time for yourself when it feels like you’ve been studying for 5 days straight. Here are 7 ways to ensure that your studying is productive not just for the test, but also for yourself: 

Stay Positive

Keeping a positive mindset can go a long way. Having faith in yourself and your abilities to deliver during the test will keep you from freaking out and forgetting everything last minute. Have faith in yourself and remember that you studied, so you should do well!

Change the Scenery 

Studying in Powell or the Study may seem like the perfect places to get stuff done, but being stuck in a room all day can get exhausting and depressing. Try studying somewhere outdoors where you can focus, but also enjoy the beautiful nature surrounding you.

Make a Study Schedule 

Sometimes tests seem like they are all piling up, and that can make you feel like you aren’t getting anything done. Making a study schedule to keep you on track, so that you know what you have to do every day. That way, you have it all together and everything won’t seem like it’s crashing down on you.

Study Things Not on the Study Guide 

There is only so much you can get from what your professors put on study guides and slides. Study different examples that you think might come up on your test. For example, my Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences professor said that if there examples of cool climates on the slides, the test would have examples on warm climates. Be sure to cover all your bases!

Take Breaks 

Studying for 10 hours straight isn’t good for you. Get food and take a 20 minute break to watch TV or funny videos on YouTube. That way, you will be recharged and ready to study more. Studying for too long can just lead to exhaustion and not retaining any information.

Get Sleep 

8 hours of sleep is more important than all nighters that will inhibit you from functioning the next day. Sometimes we forget, but getting enough sleep is part of maintaining good health. Our immune systems are weakened when we are stressed, so lack of sleep will only make things worse.

Kill the Test

After all has been studied and sleep has been gotten, go get an A+! You got this! You will do great and even if you don’t, remember, C’s get degrees! The most important thing to remember is that giving it your all and trying your best is sometimes all we can do. Hard work should never be undermined, even if you don’t get an A.

You are just as important as the tests you take, so pushing yourself to try to memorize everything that has ever been said in lecture can often be useless and hurting your mental health. Study smarter, not harder.

Allison is a feature writer at UCLA who loves hanging out at the beach and eating any kind of dessert.
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.