The Lalasipping Coffee In Bed
The Lalasipping Coffee In Bed
Her Campus Media

7 Ways To Make Your Apartment Feel Like Home Even With A Roommate

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Living in your first off-campus apartment is a huge step! It’s really the first time most college students get their own taste of what it’s like to do everything for themselves. More likely than not, it also still involves living with roommates considering how expensive apartments are nowadays. Even if you’re living with your best friends, it can still be hard to feel comfortable and have a sense of privacy in a shared apartment. Here are 7 ways that you can still make your apartment feel like your home away from home:

Divide up certain area(s) that are only your own

Maybe talk to your roommate about a certain corner or spaces that you each want to make your own. Even if you have a small apartment there probably are still little corners or nooks that you can decorate for just yourself. For example, in my little nook area in my apartment, I have my workout equipment and my desk where I can still have some alone time with myself and focus on what I need to get done without any distractions. It’s fun to make your area your own with cute little decorations and things that make you happy!

Cook for yourself

Before I moved into my apartment, the only things I could really “cook” were toaster waffles and anything microwaveable. I made it a goal for myself to learn some recipes and try my best to actually cook some meals for myself. You definitely feel very independent and accomplished after cooking your own food. So, now is your time to bring out that cookbook that you got for the holidays four years ago and try out some new recipes.

Make your bed a cozy space

You may be sharing your bedroom with someone else but that doesn’t mean that your bed and the walls surrounding it can’t be your own! Spend some time getting comfy bedding and pillows to let yourself become more relaxed in your new environment. Maybe add some cute lights around your bedroom or even positive affirmation posters to make the space happy and encouraging.

Buy some sort of aroma/essential oil diffuser

Essential oils are SO worth it! They smell amazing and are so calming. You can even buy a diffuser that changes colors for an extra peaceful experience. When you are studying or even just chilling in bed, you can plug in your diffuser and your whole space will become homier and brighter.

Put out sentimental items

Don’t forget to bring pictures or objects that are important to you when moving into a new space. Whether that be a family photo or a special memento, seeing it in your apartment will automatically help you to feel happier. Hanging photos of good memories next to your bed is very soothing, especially if you are having a bad day.

Add plants/cute accessories in the shared living area

No one likes empty walls so why not spruce it up a bit? Talk to your roommate(s) about buying some wall decorations to personalize your apartment and make both of you feel more comfortable! Plants are also great to add to your space if you have the room. They’re fashionable and give your apartment some character.

Rugs!

Rugs are probably my favorite part about decorating any space I have. Soft, fluffy rugs are so warm and welcoming and transform a dull space into a lively one! You can get a bigger one for the living room and possibly add some in the bathroom, and even the bedroom if you have space for it! The more the merrier.

Sometimes it can be hard to share a space with people, especially if you are a more private person. However, just these little things like making a little nook or hanging up photos will help you feel safer in your new apartment. It’s an exciting thing to move into your first apartment, so take the time to decorate it and make it feel like your own!

Caitlyn studied at UCLA where she majored in English and minored in film. She loves writing about all things lifestyle and entertainment related. When she is not writing articles, she loves going to hot yoga, reading, and binge-watching One Tree Hill for the hundredth time!
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.