Style > Fashion

7 Trendy and Affordable Bathing Suit Brands

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Apparently, it costs a fortune for a scrap of fabric. Bathing suits might just be the biggest scam in the fashion industry. Or at least close to it. Nonetheless, we want our suits to be cute. And, fortunately, there is a way to make it happen while still keeping the budget well under $100. 

These seven shops (in order increasing by cost) were chosen for their affordability, diversity of styles, and overall aesthetic. 

Aerie

Aerie just might be the best-kept secret as far as bathing suits go. I had no idea they even sold bathing suits until last week (which is honestly what prompted this article). They have tons of styles, from solid to print, of all types of coverage. That said, not only are their prices great to begin with, but they have pretty frequent sales, too.

cotton on

Another perfect example of comfort and quality and affordability. I had been looking for the ideal retro high-rise bottoms forever and stumbled upon Cotton On and found ones in the cutest ‘60s style floral print.

Abercrombie

Much like their clothing selection, Abercrombie has the staples covered. Though mostly elegantly simplistic, they also offer some pretty, feminine florals.

pacsun

This list would not be complete without a classic surf shop option. PacSun has been a staple for swimwear since the ‘80s, and for good reason. With their extensive selection, you can guarantee you’ll find whatever you’re looking for.

princess polly

With well over 100 suits, Princess Polly has a gorgeous selection of colored and printed pieces. If you’re into more experimental cuts and slightly more risqué options, they’re the way to go.

boutinela

This one’s for the confident girls. I love Boutine, but am unfortunately not brave enough to wear the singular pair of bottoms I own from them. The go-to for thongs and minimal coverage suits, you can bet on Boutine to deliver quality and affordability.

triangl

My personal favorite on this list, but unfortunately, the priciest is Triangl. I love the retro cuts and patterns, the wonderful quality, and the overall brand aesthetic.

Honorable mentions: H&M, Madewell, Urban Outfitters

So hopefully, you’re ready for summer. Or a weekend bus trip to the beach. I know I’ll be taking one to recover from my midterms.

Kylee is a fourth-year at UCLA double-majoring in Communication and English with a concentration in Creative Writing. Her poems have been published in Train River Poetry, The Mandarin, Open Ceilings, and our very own Westwind (among others). She also writes feature articles for Her Campus at UCLA. In her free time, she acts, drinks way too much coffee, romanticizes everything, and buys more books than she can keep up with.