This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

One of the most common pieces of advice that college students receive is to take advantage of the opportunities given to them. With the thousands of clubs and organizations, part-time jobs and internships, college students seem to do it all! While taking advantage of all of these opportunities is important, mental health and self-care are even more crucial. Here are some tips to help you excel at both work and school.

1. Arrange Transportation.

Set a good image of yourself to both your professors and your employers by showing up on time. Plan your form of transportation! Whether it be walking, taking a bus or electric scooter—try to get there at least a few minutes early so that you can compose yourself and start off the day! 

2. Set Goals.

There has to be some reason that you’re putting yourself through so much. Whether it’s grad school that you have in mind, or your dream job that you’re envisioning during tough days, keep your goals in mind to keep you motivated. Make sure you know your short-term and long-term goals so that you can prioritize your schedule and keep yourself determined and fueled.

3. Set Boundaries.

Between work and school, you run the risk of spreading yourself too thin. Learn to set your boundaries: say no to that flyer that was shoved into your hand on BruinWalk, and re-schedule any events that may be lower on your priority list. Setting your boundaries is crucial to preventing burn-out. 

4. Talk to Friends and Family.

During stressful and busy times, a good support system is vital. Don’t take your busy schedule as a sign to call off family phone calls or dinner with friends. You still need to take some time to relax and get support from the people who know you best.

5. Use a Planner.

Planners are great for helping you keep organized and stay on top of your work. Get a small planner that you can carry around with you, and use it to keep yourself reminded of your deadlines and events.

6. Stick to Your Sleep Schedule.

During a busy schedule, sleep is usually the first thing that gets sacrificed. But be warned—sleep​ is so important! Not getting enough sleep can result in irritation, inability to concentrate and many other factors that will make your life as a student and an employee less fun. So make sure that you set up a schedule for your work and your sleep!

7. Motivate Yourself.

While your goals, and meetings with loved ones can serve as good forms of motivation, there are many other ways to provide motivation for yourself. You can frame photos of loved ones for your room or carry their photos in your wallet. You can even try leaving inspiring Post-It notes on your bathroom mirror every night to remind yourself of your motivation every morning. These forms of inspiration can be essential to help keep you going! 

Juggling school and work can be tough and tiring, but it can also be extremely rewarding. Try to meet those supervisors that will become your mentors, talk to classmates who will become close friends and keep in mind that all of your hard work will one day pay off. Good luck, collegiates! 

Kalysa was the 2020-21 Editor in Chief and Campus Correspondent for the UCLA chapter of Her Campus. She was also previously a Senior Editor and Feature Writer for the chapter. On the rare occasion she's not busy studying for school or writing for Her Campus, you'll probably find her indulging in tiramisu or reading (and re-reading) her favorite novels. 
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.