Life > Experiences

7 Must-Do Halloween Activities In LA This Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Though the leaves might not change and the weather is consistently in the eighties, fall in LA can still be absolutely amazing and there is no shortage of ways to get in the spooky mood. From pumpkin patches to haunted houses to fall festivals and exclusive Halloween parties, LA offers practically every fall activity and attraction out there. Here’s a list of seven to look forward to:

Los Angeles Fall Fair

With twelve acres of rides, live music, carnival games, local artisans and a food court, the Los Angeles Fall Fair is ideal for a night out with friends. For $25, you can get an unlimited wristband on presale, so the fair is college student budget-friendly! The fair goes from October 20 to November 5.

Hollywood Pumpkin Junction

Hollywood Pumpkin Junction is the perfect pumpkin patch experience with the bonus of live DJ performances in a beer garden, face painting, pumpkin decorating and interactive games and activities. Pumpkin patches are the ideal fall photo op, so the Hollywood Pumpkin Junction is definitely something to add to your fall bucket list.

Live Oak Canyon

If you’re looking for the ultimate fall adventure (something I can only describe as a mix of a fall fair and a pumpkin patch), then Live Oak Canyon is for you. With over 50 attractions and photo ops, roller coasters, a corn maze, the largest petting zoo in Southern California and seasonal fall food, Live Oak is the ultimate immersive experience.

Outdoor movies

There are some less obvious benefits to LA’s non-traditional fall. Warm fall weather means that classic outdoor movie nights can continue into October. Outdoor cinemas throughout LA play classic horror and Halloween movies. Rooftop cinemas like Street Food Cinema and Rooftop Cinema Club are great options for a glamorous outdoor film experience, and screenings at the Hollywood Forever Cemetery cultivate an immaculate, spooky ambiance.

Haunted houses

From high-budget horror with iconic characters from Stranger Things and The Exorcist at Universal Studios Halloween Horror Nights to the Los Angeles Haunted Hayride in Griffith Park, featuring the fictional mid-80s town of Midnight Falls, there’s more than one way to immerse yourself in horror this fall in LA.

Haunted Soiree: A Macabre Cocktail Party

If you’re looking for a more refined approach to Halloween, this mysterious cocktail party is just for you. With mini cocktail tastings, live performances and wandering entertainers, guests engage directly with enchanting characters inspired by regional folklore and historical ghost stories.

Halloween parties

Whether you want to show off your costume, dance, drink or meet new people, parties and clubs are a great way to celebrate the spooky season. Club 90s is putting on a Halloween night at Los Globos and even Harryween on October 29. The GLOBE Theatre is hosting a hip-hop Halloween party and on Halloween Night, Cinespia is screening Rosemary’s Baby and hosting a costume party at the historic Orpheum Theatre in Downtown LA.

There’s something for everyone this Halloween in LA, whether it’s going out, enjoying a caramel apple at the Fall Fair, picking the perfect pumpkin or watching a rooftop screening of a scary movie. This list is proof that the leaves don’t need to change for you to get in the spooky mood.

Kylee is a fourth-year at UCLA double-majoring in Communication and English with a concentration in Creative Writing. Her poems have been published in Train River Poetry, The Mandarin, Open Ceilings, and our very own Westwind (among others). She also writes feature articles for Her Campus at UCLA. In her free time, she acts, drinks way too much coffee, romanticizes everything, and buys more books than she can keep up with.