6 Ways Your Lifestyle Should Change When Quarantine Ends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Right now it feels like quarantine will never come to an end, but I promise, it will. We just have to be patient and stay at home a little while longer. Being stuck in quarantine has presented a lot of challenges so far, but it has also  taught us many things about our comfortable lifestyles. We should have been living in these ways from the get-go, but the pandemic really forced us to see the things that we’ve been taking for granted. Here are six ways our lives should change after quarantine ends:

Practice Good Hygiene/Sanitation

Wash your hands often, and make sure to wash them for at least 20 seconds. Also make sure to cough into your elbow, clean surfaces that are often touched in your house (i.e. door handles, garage opener, locks and faucets) and stay home if you’re sick.

Respect Essential Workers

Some of the essential workers include grocery store workers, mailmen and mailwomen, delivery workers and hospital staff. Show some extra appreciation for them. Remember that they put their lives at risk to provide for us while we get to stay at home safe with our families.

Support Small Businesses

Without a doubt, small businesses definitely took a big hit. Without the protection that big corporate businesses tend to have, most small, more local businnsess will most likely suffer for a long time after quarantine ends. Order food or buy products from the restaurants and stores near you. Leave a big tip or even an encouraging comment for them to see.

Live Sustainably

If something good has come out of the pandemic, it’s the fact that the Earth has gotten the chance to breathe. The skies and waters have begun to really clear up. This was truly a wake-up call for us to recognize that we are the problem. The Earth suffers daily because of us, and it will cease to exist if we continue to live in this way. Make small changes for a cleaner Earth, such as using reusable grocery bags and water bottles.

Spend Time with Yourself

This is probably the last thing you want to do, but didn’t it feel refreshing and good to spend time with yourself? It’s good to recognize that you can’t run on an empty battery. Take time alone to recharge and prioritize your physical and mental health.

Be Kind to Others

Unfortunately, this pandemic led to a lot of discrimination towards Asians. Do not write off an entire race just because of one bad instance. Remember that it’s not “us versus them.” We’re all humans. Let’s be kind to others and realize that we’re all going through something – not just you.

Once this quarantine ends, let’s not hope to return to our normal lives but hope to change our lives for the better. It would be really irresponsible of us to return to our old lives and live in the exact same way as we did prior to the pandemic. Being stuck in quarantine is difficult, but please take away a few lessons from it. Let’s go back to our lives as humans who practice good hygiene, respect others, show support, live sustainably, be frugal with our money and be kind to others.

Lauren is a fourth-year Psychology major with a minor in Asian Languages at UCLA from Studio City, California. In addition to writing as a feature writer for Her Campus at UCLA, she loves reading for leisure, playing with her dogs, and watching The Office.
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.