Life > Experiences

5 Fun Night Outings For People With Social Anxiety

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

As someone with major social anxiety, I find it difficult some nights deciding what to do when my friends want to go out. I don’t want to be lame, and I want to spend time with them, but do you ever feel like you can’t possibly bare the thought of social interaction with people you don’t know? There’s a difference between wanting to stay in and just not wanting a wild night out on the town. Over the past year in college, I’ve had to come up with alternative ideas for when I do in fact want to go out, but I just cant get comfortable with the idea of partying with strangers. Here are five fun alternatives for awesome nights out with your friends that leave behind all the anxiety:

1. A Fancy(ish) Restaurant 

Going out with your friends to a fun restaurant can be the perfect night if you just want to stay with your group! It gives you a chance to get dressed up and explore a new place you’ve never been to. Plus, you can get a fun meal out of it too. And it doesn’t have to be expensive! Sure, Pink Taco is an exciting and vibrant scene, but so is Juquila’s for half the price!

2. The Mall

Another entertaining outing is to go take a trip to an outdoor mall like the Westfield Century City Mall, Third Street Promenade or The Grove. Whether you want to walk around or sit and chat, there is always something to see and do. There are plenty of places to shop, eat and sit to listen to live music. From Pressed to Free People to the movies, you can craft your night in really any way you could imagine. Speaking of…

3. The Movies

Ok you can’t argue with me on this one—the movies are always a fun time. Even if the movie isn’t your favorite, it’s still fun to experience and ultimately talk about/critique/roast after the fact. But if it’s a good movie—all the better. Last time I went to the movies, I remember it was the night I didn’t know I needed. I was feeling down, so I went with five of my friends and we bought tons of popcorn and candy and watched A Simple Favor (mind-blowing btw; you MUST SEE if you haven’t). Sometimes, even the simple luxury of being literally surrounded by all your friends is enough. The perks of this option are that you can make it cost effective by going on $5 movie night at AMC, you can walk to one of the many theaters we have in Westwood and you can even wear your pajamas (my favorite part).

Photo by Katy Belcher on Unsplash

4. Karaoke

Whether you like to sing or not, karaoke with your friends is the perfect night outing to combine your friends, food, drinks, laughter and embarrassing yourself. You can even get private rooms (perfect for birthdays) if you’re willing to spend a little more money, and you can really let your inhibitions go.

5. Bowling

Spice it up with some friendly competition, and head on down to the local bowling ally (there’s one on West Olympic Blvd and Venice). Bowling allies are the best time for those of us with ~social anxiety~ because not only will you never be bored, but with a lane to yourselves, you wont be forced to interact with anyone you don’t want to.

If you’re one of those people who just can’t bear the thought of a frat party or another night at Rocco’s, you have come to the right place. Check out any of these options, and you’ll be sure to have an equally fun (if not more fun) night MINUS the added stress of those particular individuals or just flat out strangers whose company would make you rather stay at home and miss out.

Grace is a senior at UCLA majoring in communications with a minor in film. In addition to being a Co-Senior Editor for Her Campus, Grace writes and models for FAST (Fashion and Student Trends).