Wellness > Mental Health

3 Influential Women Who Have Promoted Self-Love This Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Happy International Women’s Day! 

Now, some of you may be asking, “what exactly is this day about?” Let me give you a quick definition. March 8th is a day full of celebration and empowerment. It’s a celebration of women’s achievements and all the things they have accomplished throughout history. It also is the day people of all genders come together to stand up for gender equality. Systemic barriers have historically constricted women, as the lack of opportunities prevents them from growing. But, slowly, women have been changing history for the better and saying goodbye to stereotypes. The journey hasn’t been easy, but with support and dedication, it has worked. Today, I’m going to focus on three influential women who have promoted self-love this year:

Sofía Jirau 

On February 14th, Puerto Rican model Sofía became the first Victoria’s Secret model with Down Syndrome to be a part of the brand. She, along with 17 VS Models, launched the Love Cloud Collection which is centered on women feeling comfortable while still having that sexy touch. On her Instagram, Sofía expressed how grateful and happy she was to have been able to fulfill her dream. Sofía has also launched her own campaign called Sin Límites — or No Limits — to raise awareness about Down Syndrome and demonstrate how people with Down Syndrome still accomplish their goals.

Sofia Carson

Sofia Carson is a singer, actress, ambassador and activist whose goal is to help young women speak up and blossom. She is best known for her role as Evie, the daughter of the Evil Queen, in Disney’s Descendants movies. This year I was given the chance to attend a Q&A with Sofia where she talked about her new single, “LOUD.” Her new music video is more than it seems. It’s about how women have always been restricted from growing, always having some obstacle stopping them from becoming who they are. But Sofia is done with this and is determined to break all barriers, encouraging women to use their voices to stand up against these stereotypes. 

Karol G 

Karol G is a Colombian Reggaeton and Latin music singer. This year, to celebrate her birthday and Valentine’s Day, she collaborated with Crocs to launch Self-Love Crocs that she designed herself. They’re designed to be comfortable yet spicy. Recently, she was featured on the cover of Vogue México and discussed how she decided to do only a natural makeup look for the occasion to show how comfortable and happy she is with herself. She wants all women to feel the exact same way and be confident with themselves. It can be hard because for so long, women have been told how to dress, act and talk. But, women should be allowed to be themselves without any judgment.

Women are strong and together we can all do so many things! Remember to always support each other and not bring each other down. You’re beautiful and don’t let anyone tell you otherwise.

Maria Alfaro is a fourth year student at UCLA majoring in Sociology and minoring in Spanish. She joined HerCampus at UCLA in 2021 and ever since has been able to do what she enjoys; write and share her stories with everyone. Her love for journalism grows with each story she gets to write. She loves to meet new people and learn new things. In her free time you can find her exploring the city of LA, dancing, binge-watching, blogging or relaxing.