An Inspiring Talk With Sofia Carson: The Importance Of Our Voices

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Dramatic. It’s one of the words that women are called when they try to stand up for themselves. For so long women have been silenced, called so many things if they start raising their voices. But, those days are slowly coming to an end. Together, we have shown the world that we will no longer be silenced.

In a Q&A with Sofia Carson—actress, singer, ambassador and activist—she discussed her journey in becoming the woman she is now along with her passion for helping young women to be loud. She recently released her new single LOUD, which she explained is about women breaking free from the barrier that prevents them from speaking up for what they believe in. In the music video, Carson is seen in a caterpillar’s cocoon, and it’s not until towards the end of the video that we see her break free of this cocoon, revealing a beautiful butterfly. When asked about what the butterfly represented, she explained, “The butterfly represents a metaphor of the silent voices of generations who are now breaking free, who are now louder than ever.”

There are so many young women and little girls who look up to young artists, and Sofia Carson is one of them. She has appeared in many movies and shows such as Disney’s Descendants, Pretty Little Liars: The Perfectionists, Feel The Beat and many more. Carson is an inspiration for many girls and it’s wonderful to see her emphasize the importance of using our voices and not being afraid to cross lines. She has made it her mission to use and dedicate her voice to help uplift women. “Our voices are our most greatest and powerful weapons,” she stated.

As a global ambassador of The Latin GRAMMY Cultural Foundation, Carson has helped many young women follow their dreams of becoming an artist. The mission of the organization is to help students interested in Latin music get the education they need to pursue this career. In the Q&A, she mentioned how honored and grateful she was to be part of something so great. Her hope is that the scholarships awarded will help inspire women and encourage them to follow their dreams, whether that be an artist, a doctor, engineer or anything else.

I found the Q&A incredibly inspiring, and it gave me comfort to know that together, we can create change for the better. It’s time we all embrace our loud side and be proud. Carson emphasized the need to “believe in your voice and dreams more than anyone in the world,” because that’s the only way you’ll accomplish your goals. Many doors will be closed, but that does not mean there isn’t a door out there waiting for us. As Sofia Carson said, it is important to fight for our dreams and not be silenced. 

Maria Alfaro is a fourth year student at UCLA majoring in Sociology and minoring in Spanish. She joined HerCampus at UCLA in 2021 and ever since has been able to do what she enjoys; write and share her stories with everyone. Her love for journalism grows with each story she gets to write. She loves to meet new people and learn new things. In her free time you can find her exploring the city of LA, dancing, binge-watching, blogging or relaxing.