4 Easy and Delicious Meals You Can Make With Your Roommates

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

For a lot of college students, cooking can become a bit of a chore partly because most of us have no clue what we’re doing and because it takes a lot of time and energy, especially when you’re doing it on your own. That’s why cooking meals with your roommates is a great idea – it’s an awesome way to spend time together and save money! So here are a few meals that I usually make with my roommates that I think are worth sharing with all of you:

1. Smoothies

Given the large quantities in which fresh produce is sold, it’s pretty difficult for one college student to finish whatever fresh fruits and veggies they buy before the produce goes bad. That’s why smoothies are a must-have on any college girls to-eat list – it’s a sure fire way for you and roomies to get all your nutrients and not waste anything! Smoothies are easy to make and even easier to share and you can make them however you wish. Here are some ingredients you should consider mixing and matching to make some yummy smoothies:

• Berries (strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, blueberries)
  • Mango
  • Pineapple
  • Tangerine Juice
  • Orange Juice
  • Vanilla or Plain Yoghurt
  • Milk
  • Grapefruit
  • Banana
  • Peanut or Almond Butter
  • Chocolate Chips

2. Chicken Tikka Masala

If you’re craving a big, hearty meal then you should think about cooking this up! If you have a lot of time to spare then you could probably make this from scratch. But if you’re just trying to get the best possible results in the shortest possible time then this is what you need to do: get the chicken tikka masala mix from trader joes, cut up your chicken into small pieces, throw some olive oil in a pan, put in your chicken, and then pour the mix over it. This meal goes perfectly with rice or naan bread and because it’s easy to make in bulk it’s perfect to share with your roomies!

3. French Toast

Pro tip: french toast is a great way to use up a lot of bread that’s about to go stale. Other than that though, french toast is an easy enough breakfast to make a lot of. I actually find it harder to make french toast for one! All you need is bread, eggs, milk, vanilla extract, sugar, and maple syrup. Mix the eggs, milk, sugar, and vanilla. Then dip the bread in the mixture and put in the pan over the stove, flip it after about 1 minute. Quantities will vary depending on how big your apartment squad is but if there’s around 4 of you then 4 eggs, 2 cups of milk, 2 tbsp of sugar, and ½ cup of vanilla should do it! Drizzle some maple syrup over toast and that’s it!

4. Marinara Pasta

For many college students, pasta is the go-to meal! If you’re anything like me and find it hard to estimate how much pasta to cook for one – apparently a handful is the correct serving for one person but that always look too little…until it’s cooked, then it looks too much – then you might as well make some for everyone you live with. All you need for this meal is fusilli pasta, parmesan cheese, and tomato basil marinara sauce (I recommend the Trader Joe’s one!). Once the pasta is boiled, pan fry it with the marinara sauce, then toss in the cheese. If you want you could also add some chicken for extra protein (season it lightly with salt, black pepper, paprika, and lemon) and/or some spinach and basil for decoration.

Bon appetit!

Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.