This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Welcoming the new year means making a new set of resolutions. Whether you refer to them as resolutions or goals, we all have the intention to create for ourselves healthier and more productive habits. I was inspired by several of my friends who shared their yearly reading list with me, and I was amazed at how many novels, autobiographies and self-help books they read. The ability to create memories with every book you read and the power of feeding your mind with literature left me astonished. I was inspired to create for myself my own list. I am happy to say that I have read some of the countless books I have written down to read, and I want to share them with you, as they all have a meaningful and touching meaning to me:

“I Am Not Your Perfect Mexican Daughter” by Erika L. Sanchez

To all my Latinx sisters, this book is a must-read. I haven’t related and cried as much since I watched Real Women Have Curves on Hulu. This coming-of-age novel centers around the life of a first-generation Mexican-American girl who is faced with one of the greatest decisions we all have in life: will she go to college?  This decision isn’t easy when faced with traditional parents discouraging her from leaving, as well as the death of her sister haunting and holding her back. With themes of cultural identity, secrets, lies and self-identity; you won’t want to put down this book.

“Pachinko” by Min Jin Lee 

This book has made it to my “Best Books Of All Time” list. One of my dear friends lent me this book confidently saying I would enjoy it — and she was right. This novel follows three generations of a Korean immigrant family living throughout historic events; themes include faith, the importance of family and identity. This novel will require tissues, as I had to put it down several times from heartbreak at the events that happened. Lee does not offer a sugar-coated perspective on how this Korean family lived during Japanese colonization and the Korean War, but she presents a bittersweet reality that needs to be learned about.

All The Bright Places by Jennifer Niven 

I admit it – I committed a sin in the book reading community by watching the film before reading the book. Before you call me out, I didn’t remember a friend of mine recommended it to me in high school! This novel deals with themes of mental illness, loss and heartbreak, and it shows how these things affect those around you. What struck me the most was that the plot in this story was inspired by similar events that the author went through. Niven’s desire is to bring awareness to the importance of mental health and seeking help when you or someone you love is struggling. Both the film and book are heart-wrenching; however, the film, of course, changes critical moments in the book. Regardless, it is still a novel worth adding to your list

Girl In Translation by Jean Kwok

I bought Girl in Translation on one of my thrifting trips two years ago and never got around to reading it until this year. Just like All the Bright Places, this novel is also inspired by the author’s own experiences; however, it deals with a mother and daughter immigrating from Hong Kong to the U.S., the cruelty of working in sweatshops and dealing with racism and language barriers. It is an eye-opener to the harsh reality of immigrant families having to sacrifice their zone of comfort for a better life.

You may be seeing a theme with all these books mentioned, but I promise you it was not intentional! I’m one to believe that things don’t happen out of sheer coincidence, but everything has a purpose. Each of these novels has sparked an interest of mine about the immigrant experience and mental health. I am a daughter of Mexican immigrants, and I have gained much more appreciation for my parents and all they sacrificed for me to be able to be where I am. In addition, I have also learned the importance of mental health and reaching out for help.  I encourage you to create your own reading list. You never know- that book you purchased at a thrift store or the one collecting dust on your bookshelf might just change your life. 

Marvin is a Junior majoring in Korean and (hopefully) minoring in Comparative Literature. Her dream of living in LA has become a reality, even if she lives the UCLA experience through Zoom.
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.