Life > Academics

3 Honest Pros And Cons Of The Notorious 8 AM Class

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

With UCLA’s fall quarter more than halfway done, you might have already started planning your courses for next quarter. You might even be debating on whether to take the notorious 8 AM class. To help you determine if 8 AM classes are for you, here are three pros and cons that I experienced in my 8 AM class this quarter:

Pro: I met my BFFs

This came as a surprise to me because I thought that 8 AM is the time people are least social. But because slightly oversleeping would cost me a whole lecture (my class wasn’t recorded) or a very bad seat in the back, I quickly learned the importance of having a friend who will save you a seat when you’re running late and who you can walk to class with so that you don’t have to walk in the morning fog alone. Having each other’s backs is one of the most valuable aspects of a friendship to me, so I formed a bond closer to them than with my friends from any other classes.

Con: Sleep deprivation

On the days when I had 8 AM classes (which was four times a week) my sleep hours rarely amounted to 7 hours. Instead, the max amount of sleep I could get was 6 hours. 

Especially when you live with roommates who are night owls or if one of you is a light sleeper, 8 AM classes might mess up both you and your roommates’ sleep schedules and potentially lead to conflict.

If this happens, it’s best to communicate with your roommates about your problems—do you want them to be quieter when they come back to the room at night? Do they want you to stop snoozing your alarm in the morning? Tell them and work together to fix the problem.

Pro: None of that after-lunch drowsiness

This is the main reason why I wanted to take a morning class, even if it is 8 AM in the morning. If your class is in person, the walk to class helps you have a clear mind and focus on class without distractions.

Con: No time for a hot breakfast 

If you’re not a breakfast person, skip this one. Being a huge breakfast person, I hated the fact that I didn’t have time to sit down and eat a hot breakfast at a dining hall. If you don’t mind eating while walking, go to the Study or Bruin Cafe to grab a hot, to-go breakfast. But other than that, get ready to hoard on energy bars for the rest of the quarter!

Watch the sunrise everyday

It’s one thing to wake up with the sun in your face and it’s another thing to watch it rise from the start and light up the whole campus! Being a sucker for sunrises, my camera roll is filled with sunrise photos because of this beautiful timing—something that only early birds will understand.

Con: No partying on Thirsty Thursdays

Thirsty Thursdays or not, 8 AM classes don’t let you attend any social events after 10 PM on weekdays and Sundays.

Here are three pros and cons of taking an 8 AM class. Keep in mind that my lifestyle is different from yours and my pros and cons won’t necessarily be your pros and cons!

Rio is a third-year UCLA business economics student from Japan. In her free time, you can find her hiking, dancing away at concerts, or cafe-hopping!