3 Galentine’s Day Activities Perfect For UCLA Students

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Luckily for us single girls, Valentine’s Day falls on a Tuesday this year, which I’m hoping means fewer celebrations. The years when Valentine’s Day falls on a Friday, Saturday or Sunday are truly insufferable. Do couples really want to make a huge deal out of the most unnecessary holiday during midterm season? For those of us that are spending this year single, here are some fun activities to do with your friends:

IPIC Movie Tickets

I first learned about IPIC when I was trying to figure out a way to watch Don’t Worry Darling without a car. IPIC is only a 20-minute walk from campus, and this upcoming weekend’s schedule is a fun one. IPIC Westwood is showing Titanic and Magic Mike’s Last Dance depending on what type of Galentine’s Day you’re going for. If you’re having a hard time figuring out which to watch, just know Leonardo DiCaprio’s alleged new girlfriend is the same age as a freshman, which is enough to make me feel like I’m on the Titanic. At least you’ll be able to giggle a bit during the Magic Mike movie. 

Note: After watching the movie of your choice (try not to gag or watch someone be gagged), walk over to Saffron and Rose for some delicious Persian ice cream and a movie-debriefing session.

BJ’s (not that Kind)

A major perk to this Valentine’s Day is that it’s a Tuesday, which means you and your friends can get $4 pizookies at the nearest BJ’s. If you want to continue the Valentine’s Day theme, try the Strawberry Shortcake Pizookie loaded with fresh strawberries, whipped cream, strawberry puree and vanilla ice cream. I’ll be spending my Galentine’s Day with my roommate discussing why we’re still single (we can’t make eye contact with men) and how we aren’t the issue (the blind leading the blind) over some chips and salsa while finishing it off with a warm pizookie. Much sweeter than any man!

Note: Tip your servers well if you’re just ordering pizookies and hogging the table for hours!

A Trip To Century City Mall

Even if you do have a car, I think it’s easier to get to the Century City Mall with public transportation. You can take the Metro Micro Bus (only $1) that will drop you off very close to the mall. This way, you don’t have to fight for your life to find parking. The Century City Mall is the perfect place for some retail therapy with amazing food options, live music and any store you could possibly need. Whether you’re shopping for yourself or a lover, make sure you stop by Blue Bottle Coffee (their iced americanos are the best) and the Bake Cheese Tart store. 

Note: I’m not kidding when I tell you these cheese tarts are one of the main reasons I chose UCLA over other colleges! I was first introduced to these magnificent desserts in Korea and learned they only have 2 locations in the U.S. (the other is in San Francisco). Naturally, I decided to become a Bruin so I could eat these as often as I want. 

Whether you think Valentine’s Day is the best holiday ever or the worst, I hope you do something fun this weekend. Maybe that means gifting yourself something you’ve been eyeing for a while or grabbing a nice dinner with your friends. Whatever form of love you decide to celebrate this Valentine’s Day, make it memorable!

Hannah is a third-year student at UCLA, majoring in Psychology. In her free time, she loves going to the beach, grabbing coffee, and painting her nails.