10 Pros and Cons of Being a Transfer Student at UCLA

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

After spending this year at UCLA as a transfer student, I have really learned a lot about the school and about myself. Being a part of UCLA is something I never imagined, and the fact that I’m here will always be shocking to me! There are some downsides to being a transfer, but the upsides definitely outweigh any negatives. During my experience in the last few months, I have found these pros and cons to be true about being a transfer student at UCLA.

1. PRO: UCLA is the best school in the country!

UCLA is the most beautiful campus I have ever seen. When I was picking between schools to transfer to, I knew instantly that I wanted to go here because of how gorgeous the buildings and environment is! Not to mention, we are the #1 public university in the country!

2. CON: The stigma of being a transfer

When people hear that you’re a transfer, they can sometimes come off a little judge-y, because maybe you didn’t get into UCLA straight after high school, and they think that means you’re not as smart as they are. 

3. PRO: We only have to do two years!

While some people might not understand why you would want to go to community college first, it really is an amazing thing because you’ll be paying HALF as much as they do, because you’re only here for half the time! Joke’s on them because in the end—your loans won’t even come close to theirs.

4. CON: Getting lost anytime you have to go somewhere new on campus

Even after being here for a whole quarter, I still got confused on where to go sometimes. The campus is so big that you sometimes might hear of a garden or a building that you didn’t even know existed. Where in the world are the Sunken Gardens?

5. PRO: All of your GEs are taken care of! 

Now you can focus on upper division classes! It’s so much more fun to be able to take classes in just your major that you actually get to choose from! Community college was filled with science and math classes, but now I get to focus on just English, and I’m having the time of my life.

6. CON: Being an upperclassmen and not knowing anyone 

Why do I feel like a freshman? Being part of the older crowd can be a little intimidating when you don’t know anyone. Everyone seems to have their friend groups already because they’ve been here longer, so it can be a little tough feeling left out because you don’t know anyone yet. 

7. PRO: The transfer center

The transfer center is such a great resource that we have on campus! They hold events anywhere from game nights to study sessions. Any time you spend in the center will be a good time because not only can you use it to escape from the craziness of the campus, but you’ll also make friends while you’re there.

8. CON: Being used to easier classes 

Chances are classes that you took before coming to UCLA were somewhat easier than the classes you’ll take here. The professors are more acclaimed at UCLA, so their grading and expectations of students may be a little harsher than what us transfers are used to.

9. PRO: The transfer community 

The people you meet who are going through similar experiences with you are the people you will hold onto, to help you get through the new experience that UCLA is. Because you all have similar backgrounds, it is easier to understand each other and help each other through the new terrain.

10. CON: Having to acclimate to the quarter system 

Most likely, your community college was on the semester system, so trying to figure out how to get so much work done in almost half the time can be a little challenging.

Photos and gifs courtesy of Emily Lentz and Giphy

Emily is a graduate of UCLA and former Senior Editor of Her Campus at UCLA. During her free time, Emily loves to read, travel and binge-watch episodes of Gilmore Girls. She can be reached at emilylentz47@gmail.com.
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.