10 Empowering Quotes to Kick-Start UCLA’s “Declare Your Feminism” Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Declare Your Feminism (DYF) is a week of programming dedicated to women’s empowerment and leadership at UCLA. In partnership with campus organizations and departments, the USAC Office of the President will be organizing events, campaigns, service opportunities, fairs and networking nights to provide Bruins with the opportunity to celebrate, investigate, explore and declare their feminism.  

1. “To all the little girls who are watching, never doubt that you are valuable and powerful and deserving of every chance and opportunity in the world to pursue and achieve your own dreams.” —Hillary Clinton 

2. “I raise up my voice—not so I can shout, but so that those without a voice can be heard…we cannot succeed when half of us are held back.” ―Malala Yousafzai

3. “Each time a woman stands up for herself without knowing it possibly, without claiming it, she stands up for all women.” – Maya Angelou

4. “There is no limit to what we, as women, can accomplish.” – Michelle Obama

5. “I do know one thing about me: I don’t measure myself by others expectations or let others define my worth.” – Justice Sonia Sotomayor

6. “A feminist is a person who believes in the power of women just as much as they believe in the power of anyone else. It’s equality, it’s fairness, and I think it’s a great thing to be a part of.” – Zendaya

7. “How can we effect change in the world when only half of it is invited or feel welcome to participate in the conversation?” – Emma Watson

8. “Run away from a man who can’t handle your ambition…We have to do our part to change the idea that a woman with passion and ambition is out only for herself.” – Reese Witherspoon

9. “Think like a queen. A queen is not afraid to fail. Failure is another steppingstone to greatness.” – Oprah Winfrey

10. “Women are leaders everywhere you look — from the CEO who runs a Fortune 500 company to the housewife who raises her children and heads her household. Our country was built by strong women, and we will continue to break down walls and defy stereotypes.” – Nancy Pelosi

Carly is a features writer for Her Campus at UCLA. In her free time she loves to sing, write, and spend time with her friends and family. 
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.