This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

As a society, we tend to label people who cry as “crybabies,” or other similar terms — but why do we do that? Growing up, when a boy in my class cried, the other students would pick on him. They would call him every name under the sun to intimidate him and make him feel bad about expressing his emotions. When a girl in my class cried, the other students saw her as weak and called her fragile. As a result, we’re indirectly teaching children that there’s something wrong with showing emotion.

Life is a roller coaster ride of both your highest points and your lowest points. Celebrating the highs is extremely important; however, acknowledging those lows is also important. There were times in my life when I had convinced myself that it was easier to hold in my tears, frustration or disappointment. I convinced myself that the emotions I felt weren’t important or valid. The more I did that, the heavier the weight on my shoulders felt. I had to hide behind a fake smile — not just to convince those around me that I was okay, but in the end, to convince myself. The more I tried to keep everything in and suppress my emotions, the more I became a ticking time bomb that could explode in a stream of tears at any moment. Why wait for the bucket to overflow before dumping it out? When the bucket of water starts to get too heavy, it’s okay to let it out.

As I’ve gotten older, I’ve started to understand the beauty of crying. I give myself the time I need to let it out, whether it’s from frustration or sadness. It’s okay to not have it together all the time, and we shouldn’t be expected to. It’s okay to ask for help. Showing or expressing emotion doesn’t make you weak or a “crybaby.” Showing or expressing emotion doesn’t make you a fragile person who needs rescuing. Showing or expressing your emotions makes you human. 

Lincy is a Senior at UCF majoring in Social Work with a minor in Sociology. She was born in Haiti, but raised in Florida. She loves spending most of her free time volunteering with children. If she's not volunteering, you can find her on Netflix watching her favorite shows -- Criminal Minds, Supernatural, or New Girl. If you want to keep up with what she's doing, follow her on her socials. 
UCF Contributor