Why Emma Watson Should Be Every Girl’s Role Model

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Emma Watson has played iconic roles like Hermione Granger in Harry Potter and most recently Belle in Beauty and the Beast, but there is so much more to admire her for. Her talent as an actress is only a fraction of what makes Emma Watson the amazing woman that she is. She is educated, private, and is never afraid to speak her mind. Girls of all ages can look up to her.

While most actors have either never attended or dropped out of college because of their success in acting, Emma Watson enrolled in college already having a lucrative acting career since the age of 9. The fact that she still wanted to learn something outside of her career is remarkable. It took her 5 years to graduate with a degree in English Literature because she was also continuing her acting career at the same time. I’d say that’s a pretty good excuse.

Even though she does have social media, Emma is still a private person. We don’t know too much about her private life, which is rare for most celebrities nowadays. It shows that a little mystery is a good thing and there is no need to leave little to the imagination. It’s easy to get sick of a celebrity when they share so much and try to live their lives as publically as they can. It is refreshing to see that she keeps her professional life and personal life separate. Is she a homebody? Is she the life of the party? We may never know, but if she is a partier I hope that she looks like she is having the time of her life like she is here:

She is the queen of feminism! On September of 2014, Emma Watson gave an unforgettable speech about feminism at the UN Headquarters in New York City. The purpose of the speech was to launch the UN Women campaign HeForShe. It was a call to action for men to advocate for gender equality. This speech caught the attention of several male celebrities, such as Harry Styles, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Logan Lerman, and more! She showed girls of all ages that it is important to stand up for what you believe and a difference can be made. Emma Watson’s inspiring speech will go down in the history of feminism and you can hear it here.

She continues to stand up for feminism in 2017. She shut down the haters last month after she got hateful comments about her beautiful photo on Vanity Fair (shown below). Apparently showing too much skin meant that she was not a feminist. Emma Watson quickly clapped back in an interview saying that, “Feminism is about giving women choice. Feminism is not a stick with which to beat other women with. It’s about freedom. It’s about liberation. It’s about equality. I really don’t know what my tits have to do with it.” 

She is the ultimate role model for girls everywhere and of all ages. Emma Watson is who I want to be when I grow up! She is talented, intelligent, ambitious, and classy. She has done so much for the causes she believes in, her acting career is phenomenal, and she has worked with brands, such as Burberry and Chanel. Just when I thought she couldn’t get any better, in her new movie Beauty and the Beast she got to showcase stunning voice. The whole movie was amazing and magical, but she definitely stole the show.

Photo credit: Cover photo, Gif 1, Gif 2 courtesy of Giphy, Photo 1 by Tim Walker, Gif 3 courtesy of Giphy

Melanie Ararat is a sophomore at the University of Central Florida. She is the Marketing and Publicity co-director for Her Campus UCF. She is majoring in journalism and minoring in political science. Writing has always been her passion since she could literally pick up a pencil (they were just scribbles, but it still counts). You can follow her on Instagram and Twitter @melanie_ararat where she posts things that make it seem like she has a life outside of writing and binge watching shows on Netflix.
UCF Contributor