What You Don’t Know About the UCF Bookstore

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

The UCF bookstore is home to some of my fondest memories and a few of my greatest friends. I have met people from all over the world, from all different kinds of religions, and all kinds of ages. The eclectic group of people is what makes me so happy to work there because I’m finally able to meet all kinds of people that I wouldn’t have been able to meet when I was in high school.

With that being said, we also work with students with disabilities. It’s a little unknown fact about the bookstore. They are a part of UCF’s transitional team to learn work skills as well as social skills. We usually have about 5-8 transitional students every morning to work on duties with the merchandise department. Together we work on organizing and hanging shirts, unloading boxes, and communicating with customers.

This is my favorite thing about my bookstore. We are so inclusive that we work with everyone. Regardless of race, ethnicity, gender, and even disabilities. These students truly bring a smile to my face when coming in because they are so excited to start the day with us. I have such a great time while working with them that sometimes I forget that some customers do not understand that they have a disability.

I have had times where customers would get confused and irritated as to why one of our students couldn’t locate a book for them or couldn’t find the right sweater size. People need to understand that in the mornings our students are our helpers and you must be patient with them. At times, things may get confusing, and it is absolutely ok to ask to speak to someone else. If you’re ever inside the bookstore in the mornings and happen to see some students in “UCF transition team” polos, then feel free to say hi! If you have any questions at all and they are unable to help you then ask one of our students to grab a merchandise team member, and they will be more than happy to assist. Your kindness and patience means the world to all of us.

It’s not quite well known that the UCF bookstore does this, and I think it’s time that we all know who these transitional students are. They are real people with real thoughts and feelings and try their absolute best to help customers with whatever needs they may have. In all honesty, sometimes they work harder than I do. They’re absolutely great workers to have and great friends to talk to. I am so proud of my bookstore for working with transitional students because not every company would want to, but UCF is so diverse and so accommodating that all kinds of people can work there. 

Images: 1, 2, 3

Shelly is a junior studying Human Communications while minoring in Writing/Rhetoric at UCF. She is bilingual in both English and Hebrew. Besides writing, one of her many passions is theatre. You'll almost always find her singing and being the most dramatic person in the group! 
UCF Contributor