This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

On September 18, 2020, the news hit like a flood. Every post, text and article spoke about the notorious and well-loved RBG. 

Who was she? And why is her death so important?

Ruth Bader Ginsburg 2016 portrait
Photo by Supreme Court of the United States distributed under a public domain license

Ruth Bader Ginsburg was a member of the United States Supreme Court since 1993, and since then, she has become an icon for gender equality in America. All politics aside, there’s no debate in agreeing that she was a well-rounded and accomplished individual who fought on behalf of equality. She openly spoke about the oppression against minorities — especially that against women — making her highly recognized among feminist and liberal groups in America. In her years, she supported emerging leadership across women in different career fields, women in the military, equal treatment in insurance, and fought against pregnancy discrimination. Aside from those topics, she established intersectional understanding, crushing boundaries every single day.

Women protesting in the Women\'s March on Washington
Vlad Tchompalov, via Unsplash
As a leader in the Supreme Court, she opened so many doors for women across the nation. We had someone to look up to, to strive to be and to listen to. RBG was that person to millions of little girls, where they could stand up and say, “I CAN AND I WILL!” As a Cuban American female activist, this news hit hard for me. Knowing about her life and knowing what she had accomplished, she was my role model, and I am only one among millions who feel the same. Ruth Bader Ginsburg was one of the most powerful women in America, earning her title of the Notorious RBG.

So, what now?

Black Lives Matter march holding banners and signs.
Photo by Clay Banks from Unsplash

Bringing in politics now, this means that the Supreme Court no longer has a leader of the liberal wing court. Meaning, there is now a vacancy open to a nomination by President Donald Trump, despite the Senate having blocked President Obama from doing so during his term for nominations. Because of this, there is currently, and possibly will continue to be, a strong imbalance of opinion in the Supreme Court. To further emphasize this urgency, the Supreme Court is the highest judicial court in the country, and it directly deals with the justice of citizens. If this balance is altered, and there is no RBG, what could that mean? There will be a stronger conservative viewpoint, meaning that the emphasis on long-debated issues, such as abortion, are under attack. Particular minority groups, such as the LGBTQ+ community, will be affected, and many organizations like Planned Parenthood will be severely impacted as well. For those who support these things, this can be discouraging, especially when considering the current crisis in America. But it is important to remember that RBG would have wanted to keep the fight going, and so we will. 

Rest in power, notorious Ruth Bader Ginsburg.

Lover of all things creative! Class of 2024, and majoring in special education. Makeup artistry is my passion!
UCF Contributor