Mental Health Hub Hero
Mental Health Hub Hero
Rebecca Hoskins / Her Campus Media
Life > Experiences

Tips on Being a Better Roommate

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Moving into a new place with people you don’t know can be hard. Your lives are now connected by sharing a space together. Though it can be hard in the beginning, these tips can help anyone become a better roommate.

Get to know your roommate

Getting to know your roommate is the first step in becoming a better roommate. Finding out their interests and what they enjoy can help them open up and become more comfortable with you. By taking the time to get to know them, they’ll be more inclined to treat you better and they’ll want to know your interests as well. You never know — maybe you’ll find common interests!

Set boundaries

Setting boundaries with your roommate is one of the most important things you need to do in order to get along with each other. Though some things may be black and white to you, your roommate may not know. That’s why speaking up and saying what you’re uncomfortable with will resolve any possible issues in the future.

Keep shared spaces clean

Never leave shared spaces dirty! If you’re sharing a space with your roommate, make sure to keep those areas neat and tidy. Kitchens should never have leftover food sitting out or dirty dishes filling up the sink. If you share a bathroom with your roommate, keep in mind that your shower products shouldn’t take up too much space. It’s the little things that make a difference.

Learn your roommate’s schedule

Always ask your roommate what their schedule is like. By doing this, you can set up quiet hours when you or your roommate need to study. It’s also helpful to know when you’ll have the place to yourself and can relax when they’re not around. By comparing schedules, you can see exactly what your roommate needs to get done on certain days and vice versa.  

These tips may seem obvious to some people, but it’s so important to keep up with them. Take another look at these tips the next time you and your roommate are experiencing a conflict. 

Skyler Shepard is a sophomore at the University of Central Florida. She's a Print/Digital Journalism Major with an Asian Studies Minor. She's someone especially interested in foreign affairs and hopes to work overseas after graduation.