Things My International Parents Say When They Come to Visit UCF

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

As an international student, visiting my parents or they coming to visit me is not very usual, so when this happens we try to manage our agendas in order to make the most of the short amount of time we have. This week was one of this unusual times. My mom and my dad took a week off work and came here to visit me at UCF. They stayed in my apartment for these days and managed to work with my busy schedule and have a good time while here.

Although I did not have a lot of free time to spend with them because of my classes, work, assignments, meetings, and everything else, it was a very fun week. I could talk about a lot of things that happened during this week but there is one thing that really caught my attention and is definitely worth sharing:

You know that way that incoming freshmen act when they come to college and get lost and confused with everything because it is all new and big, my parents were acting exactly the same way. It was not their first time here at UCF, but it has been so long since they last came here so it felt just like the first time. The best part is that I could relate to some of their thoughts/comments because I had the same ones when I first got here.

Therefore, I would like to share with you guys some of the things she said during her visit that I could definitely relate to and I think that all Knights would too.

1. “Ohh, parking here is really hard.”

I know, mom! We all know that. 

2. “I don’t know where I am.”

UCF is huge and if you are not used to the campus yet you will definitely get lost. I probably got lost every single day during my first week here.

3. “You have no free time.”

Classes, work, assignments, social life… I don’t even have time to sleep.

4. “Are you going out tonight?”

Is going out of my bedroom to the kitchen considered going out?

5. “I did not know this existed”

Once again, UCF campus is way to big for you know every single place there.

Julia is a sophomore at the University of Central Florida. Her major is Advertising - Public Relations. Julia was born and raised in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, and this is her first year in the U.S. She loves experiencing new things and exploring the world around her.
UCF Contributor