This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Drinking tea is one of my favorite ways to calm down after a stressful day or gear up to take on a busy schedule, and with exam season arriving, most of us are feeling more overwhelmed than ever. There are many benefits to all different kinds of tea but with so many choices out there it can be hard to know which ones will help you decompress and which will make you energized and ready to take on the day. Here are five tea blends that will help you get through all of your exam season moods!

1. Earl Gray Tea

Earl gray, like all black teas, contains more caffeine on average than any other type of tea. This high caffeine content makes earl gray tea the perfect option to reach for on early mornings before you get to studying for your exams. Black teas like earl gray are also known to lower the risk of heart disease, promote blood sugar regulation and improve immune system health. 

Specifically, earl gray is the quintessentially British tea you might picture royals drinking in a gilded parlor. Earl gray is flavored with bergamot orange rinds, which taste citrussy and a little like a cross between an orange, lemon and grapefruit. Consider replacing your morning orange juice with a warm and comforting cup of earl gray, especially as we enter the cooler weather of fall. Or, better yet, replace your morning coffee with a drink that will not only taste amazing and wake you up with its caffeine but also provide various health benefits like those mentioned above. And don’t be afraid to sweeten it with local honey!

2. Peppermint Tea

Nervous about your upcoming exams? Stomach beginning to churn at the thought of a scantron sheet? Peppermint tea has got your back! Peppermint tea is a popular natural remedy for calming an upset stomach and will become your best friend during anxiety spells. Though peppermint tea is caffeine free, it’s been shown to improve mood and memory, both of which can put you in a better place to study and ace your exams. 

Peppermint tea is made by steeping peppermint or spearmint leaves and because those are the only ingredients, it tastes exactly how you think it would: minty! This refreshing flavor will not only help soothe an upset stomach but can also be refreshing after hours of studying. 

3. Chamomile Tea

When you’re tossing and turning and just can’t sleep due to exam stress, chamomile tea is there to help you relax and drift off to sleep. Chamomile tea is known for its calming effects and has long been used as a remedy for sleepless nights. Chamomile is a type of flower and gives chamomile tea a light floral, almost apple-like sweet taste. Its flavor is generally very mild, so you might find you prefer the taste with a bit of lemon juice. 

4. Matcha Tea

Matcha tea has become a popular wellness food that you may have seen on your favorite coffee shop’s menu. Unlike most teas, matcha is made from powdered leaves which are dissolved in hot water instead of steeped. This means matcha packs more of a nutrient-rich punch than steeped teas. Matcha has been known to boost brain health and function, making it a great healthy option to drink around exam season. Matcha is also caffeinated, so it’s perfect to enjoy first thing in the morning for a pick-me-up.

Generally, matcha has an earthy, herbal and almost vegetal taste. It’s a bit bitter at first, followed by a sweet aftertaste. Many people prefer to drink matcha in a latte for a creamier and sweeter experience. 

5. Ginger Tea

Worried about getting sick during exam season? Ginger tea can help boost your immune system so you can focus on studying without worrying about catching a cold! Ginger tea is known to not only boost the immune system but also to help reduce nausea and promote healthy digestion, as well as reduce period cramps. It’s truly your best friend when it comes to wellness. Ginger tea is not caffeinated, so it’s a good drink to sip in the evening or throughout the day while you study.

Ginger tea is made by steeping ginger root and so it has a vibrant, spicy flavor. Because its flavor is so strong, you may want to sweeten it with a spoonful of maple syrup.

There are so many ways to prepare teas and so many more types of tea not listed here. Don’t be afraid to branch out and dress up a cup of tea with some cream and honey if you don’t love the taste. I hope you enjoy trying some new flavors of tea this semester and have a successful exam season!

Emily is a graduate student at UCF earning her MFA in poetry. She has lived in Orlando, Florida for the past 3 years with her partner and cat. When not writing or editing, she can be found playing the Sims and eating frozen pizza.