Wellness > Mental Health

TECHNOLOGY AND MENTAL HEALTH: NAVIGATING THE DIGITAL AGE

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

In an era defined by technological advancements and digital connectivity, the correlation between technology and mental health has become increasingly complex. Here are the various ways in which the digital world can influence our well-being both positively and negatively.

The positive

Mental Health Apps

Apps such as The Mindfulness App help you manage your emotions and thoughts as well as track your mood. Not only that, but it teaches you breathing techniques.

Online Support Communities

There are many other people out there struggling with the same things you are. Online support can stem from social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. You can make public groups on Facebook or group chats to text in. Online forums like Reddit also allow you to have the same connection you do on social media apps. You can have a whole support system without even meeting them.

Teletherapy and dIGITAL Counseling

Mental health services have changed for the better; you can now have therapy sessions via Zoom/Skype, and even text your therapist at your convenience. Some therapists haven’t resumed in-person sessions ever since COVID-19, so it can online therapy can be a bit of a hassle for someone who likes to talk in person.

The Dark Side of Digital

Social media

Social media has more of a negative impact on our lives if we let it, forcing you to think you’re supposed to have your life together by the age of 20. Seeing everyone accomplish things you haven’t yet discourages you and prompts you to compare your life to theirs. Not only that but there’s also cyberbullying, which affects many of us. People tend to be cyberbullying because they aren’t happy with themselves, and it thrills them to put others down to make themselves feel good. Celebrate your achievements and successes, no matter how small they may be! Remember that everyone has different goals and paths in life, and what works for others may not work for you. Focus on your journey and don’t forget to be kind to yourself and others along the way.

Smart Phone Addiction

How many times did you look at your phone while having dinner with your family? Be honest. I can admit that if I go out to dinner with my mom, I pick up my phone at least three times. As kids, we were always outside getting vitamin D and enjoying our life with our friends and family, but now everyone has a phone or an electronic device of some sort. Social media lets us vicariously live the life we fantasize about, which pulls us away from reality. Self-neglect and family neglect are true things; we don’t do what we’re supposed to do because we’re always on our phones. We forget to take care of ourselves, and being on our phones too much causes us to lose sleep. Although it’s great to meet and interact with new people and trending topics, remember to take some time out of your day for yourself and your loved ones.

Information Overload and stress

The constant stream of information can contribute to stress and anxiety. All of the things going on in the world can cause us to be overstimulated because there’s always something very tragic happening. Remember to take some time away from social media. You can show support for different causes through your social accounts, but if you clearly see something is taking a toll on your mental health, take a step back.

How can you balance technology & Mental Health?

Digital Detox Strategies

Schedule Internet strategies

Whether it’s 5-10 minutes or an hour, take some time away from the internet and put on some music, go for a walk, cook, or bother your family members

Make Do Not Disturb your friend

DND is my best friend, and I never turn it off. I just don’t feel like being bothered with social media and I want my own space. You have every right to be at peace. It doesn’t always stop you from being on social media, but it’s a start.

Clean up social media feeds

Cloud your feed with nothing but positivity, unfollow gossip blogs, and unfollow people who are always speaking negatively. You’ll sometimes have to be the only person who speaks positively.

do not go on social media when you wake up

This is a problem most of us have. Put the phone down and do your morning routine, or start the day by playing some uplifting music.

Tech industry responsibilIty

create environments where opinions are respected

People shouldn’t be banned for speaking their own minds, especially when there are people saying things that actually should be banned.

Crack down on bullying and harassment while promoting well-being

Most social media teams rarely handle cases where someone is being cyberbullied and harassed; it may just be that it’s automated, but you can definitely tell the difference between bullying and a normal conversation.

Understanding the influence of technology on mental health is critical as technology continues to alter our everyday lives. Individuals, communities, and technology creators can work together to harness the positive aspects of digital interaction while mitigating potential negative effects, ultimately contributing to a healthier and more supportive digital landscape by fostering a balanced and mindful approach to technology use.

Ayana Griffin is a UCF senior majoring in communication & conflict. She also has a minor in journalism. Ayana is apart of NSLS, Lambda Pi Eta Communication Honor Society and the Her Campus UCF chapter. She spends her time listening to music, creating content, photography and binge watching movies and shows.