This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

The alarm blares. You lay with your phone, endlessly scrolling on social media, dreading getting out of bed and logging onto Zoom for your 9 a.m. lecture. Every day feels the same. Like Groundhog Day, life has been one never-ending cycle lately. With a year since quarantine began, and the middle of the semester arriving with no spring break for many, it’s easy to feel hopeless and unmotivated. Well, here’s your wake-up call and the sign you’ve been looking for. It’s time to stop dwelling on the things you can’t control. Time to stop wallowing. Time to realize life is only what you make of it. Life will always throw you challenges, downfalls and successes — it’s up to you to decide how you react to the good, the bad and the ugly.

Here are some things you can do to get out of that slump, not tomorrow, but today.

1. Clean your space, light a candle, and organize your work.

A cluttered space is a cluttered mind. Forcing yourself to clean your space will benefit you in the long run.

2. Make a to-do list.

Write down every little thing you need to get done; even start with the simple, trivial tasks. There’s an extreme sense of satisfaction that comes from checking items off a list. Don’t stress if you don’t get everything done on the list, there’s always tomorrow. Just highlight it and make sure to get it done whenever you can.

3. Do some type of physical activity.

Whether it’s going on a walk, going to the gym or doing yoga, any sort of movement for your body can help get your brain going as well. Whatever type of physical activity you choose, make sure it’s something you enjoy. It will put you in a positive and motivated head-space for the start of the day.

4. Get dressed and put yourself together.

Even if you have online classes, it can be nice to dress up and get ready to impress yourself. Oftentimes, people feel instantly more productive and motivated after having gotten ready rather than staying in their pajamas.

Laptop and notebook
Photo by Nick Morrison from Unsplash
In addition to the steps you can take to be more productive to finish off the semester strong, it’s important for you to prioritize your mental health. It’s a difficult time for many people right now, and some days are harder than others in terms of mentality.

Here are some things you can do to help your mental health right now if you’re struggling. 

1. Do small acts of kindness for yourself and others.

Buy yourself flowers, take yourself on a lunch date, buy your roommate coffee, or even send a text to your grandma saying you’re thinking about her. Make sure those things you do for others you’re also doing for yourself! Loving yourself comes first, so make sure to compliment yourself and treat yourself like you would a friend.

2. Explore new things and hobbies that make you excited about life.

Start trying things you think you’d never be interested in. Meditate, paint, read a book, volunteer, hike, sing or make a TikTok. Just try something new; the worst that can happen is you don’t like it. Be open-minded, you may end up enjoying something you’d never thought you’d try. 

3. Cut down screen time.

All-day, we work on a medium-sized screen, get distracted by a smaller screen, and reward ourselves with a large screen in our free time. If you think about it that way, we are constantly surrounded by screens, not taking in the present moment.

Social media can be toxic. We are constantly scrolling through social media and comparing ourselves to others. Comparing bodies, comparing outfits, comparing vacations, comparing lives. Log off of your social media accounts for a day (or week) and put your phone on do not disturb. It’s time to focus on you. Better yourself. Don’t feel the need to broadcast everything online. Celebrate the successes with yourself, your family, and close friends. Cut down on your screen time and do other things to fill in your free-time that are beneficial for your growth, like reading or listening to a podcast. Go outside and take in nature without the distraction of screens.

4. Be positive, both to yourself and in your own thoughts and around other people. Your energy rubs off on other people.

Pixabay

We’re so focused on everyone else and their opinions, and we always forget we’re only on this earth for a short period of time. Do things that make YOU happy. Nothing is going to change by not starting. No one is going to force you out of your bed each morning, only you. Motivation isn’t always there, but discipline is. So, if you find the discipline, you will then find the motivation.

Alyssa Mehrberg is a junior majoring in Psychology and Ad/PR. She is from Fort Myers, FL and enjoys going to the beach and being in nature. She loves all things wellness and fitness related, as well as cooking healthy meals, psychological thrillers, and sunsets.
UCF Contributor