This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

By now we’ve all heard about the Dyson Airwrap: The $500 hair dryer that seems to constantly be sold out everywhere. TikTok keeps telling us that we absolutely need this new gadget embedded into our routine, but that $500 price tag has us saying “absolutely not.”  Well, I’ve had it on my wish list for quite a while now, and I finally caved in and got my hands on one. Let me tell you —  this hairdryer is worth every penny!

Before I owned the Dyson Airwrap, the Revlon One-Step brush had me in a chokehold — you can even read about it here. However, I would use this brush almost every time I washed my hair and the tension and breakage it put on my hair started to bear its consequences. I had come to the scary realization that it was severely thinning out my hair. As someone who had always had super thick hair,  this hair loss was incredibly noticeable to me and my confidence plummeted because of it. Immediately, I retired the Revlon and traded it in for the Dyson. This is exactly why it was easier for my head to justify the price. IF it really does replace the need for multiple tools, and IF it actually does make your hair look as good as all those TikTok-ers who rave about it, then the massive price tag may pay itself off.

So what is the Dyson Airwrap?

So why would the Dyson Airwrap be any different? Isn’t it just another hair tool?  While we may think that, Dyson’s technology is actually designed to inflict little to no damage to your hair. While your typical heat tools style your hair using direct and intense heat, the Airwrap regulates its heat and measures it every 40 seconds so it does not ever go above 302 degrees Fahrenheit — to compare, most of our styling tools require us to apply direct heat over 400 degrees. Along with the mixture of fast air, they work together to create a beautiful blowout.

When you open the beautiful leather chest (imagine you’re opening a treasure chest filled a gold because that’s what it feels like) that houses the Airwrap you’ll find the Airwrap base itself and a multitude of different attachments. Here is a list of what comes in the box.

• Base wand that everything attaches to
  • Blow-drying head
  • Soft smoothing brush (ideal for fine hair)
  • Firm smoothing brush (ideal for medium-to-coarse hair)
  • Two 1.6″ barrels (one for each direction)
  • Two 1.2″ barrels (one for each direction)
  • 2.21″ round brush
  • Non-slip mat
  • Storage case with a filter cleaner

While I could talk about all these different components of the Airwrap I just want to discuss my absolute favorites.

• Firm Smoothing Brush: This is the easiest straightening tool to ever exist. Just brush your hair like a normal brush and boom, straight hair! You’re able to get right at your roots and easily achieve volume with this attachment.
  • The Curling Barrels: This is the attachment that sold all the girlies. This attachment uses physics by harnessing a phenomenon called The Coanda effect. This basically means it uses the right speed with the shape and design of the barrels to move your hair in a vortex to create those beautiful curls we want.

Pros and cons

I will say there are some pros and cons to owning this hairdryer; however, the pros ultimately outweighed the cons because I was crazy enough to spend so much money on this device.

Let’s discuss the pros first.

• The hair fall out is little to none. I have owned this Airwrap for about a week now and have used it about two times now and noticed that none of the attachements caused my hair to fall out. This was the pro that sold me because, as mentioned, the Revlon brush was detrimental to my hair and ripped it out a ton.
  • Damage is also minimal. As discussed earlier, the Airwrap is designed to inflict little to no damage to your hair. As someone who styles their hair quite a bit, it’s comforting to know that i’m not applying direct 400+ degree heat onto it.
  • Beautiful voluminous blowout — do I need to elaborate?
  • A one-stop-shop for hair styling. Because this device comes with many different attachments, it elimates the need for different styling tools. Plus they’re all stored in the one case that Dyson provides you in so you can easily stow it away.

Now the cons.

• The price tag. Obviously, it being almost $600 is absolutely insane and very inaccessible. Took months of saving up, however, I can understand why due to its benefits.
  • There is a learning curve. I didn’t understand how to use it at first and it’s taking some practice. I was for sure scared when my finished results weren’t as glamourous as TikTok owners made it out to be. However, keep practicing and watching tutorials and you will get those perfect results.
  • The fact I had to buy ANOTHER attachment. This is the one that irritated me the most. Here I am spending so much money on it to begin with, and then I had to drop an extra $40 to get the long barrel attachments. The barrel attachment it comes with honestly are ridicuously short and are best with people with hair above their shoulders. I have hair past my shoulders so I had to, irritatingly, buy the long ones. Dyson, I hope you’re reading this and consider making it automatically just come with the long ones — but that’s just my opinion.
  • I haven’t yet figured out how to get my curls to last. However, I find this as a personal issue I have in general. This one takes practice and extra product testing.

If you’ve been debating purchasing the Dyson Airwrap, let me be your sign. In my opinion, it truly is worth the money. Get ready to stunt your blowout. Please do remember, any sort of heat can still hurt your hair so, as always, don’t forget to use a heat protectant when styling your hair with any heat.

Laisha is currently a senior at the University of Central Florida. She's double-majoring in marketing and psychology, while also minoring in digital media. Her interests include all things creative and social media– so much that she's basing her career on it. Asides from that you'll catch her obsessing over the latest Harry Styles update or talking about her dog Luna. Follow her on social media