nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Profile: Jaison Corchuelo

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Her Campus UCF (HCUCF): Year and major?

Jaison Corchuelo (JC): I’m a senior and a mechanical engineering major. 

HCUCF: Where are you from?

JC: My family is from Colombia but I was born in Chicago and I grew up in Orlando. 

HCUCF: How did you land your dream internship at BMW? 

JC: My ultimate goal has always been to work in the automotive industry and I knew that I needed experience in order to do it. So I began working at a shop to get some experience and later on got a position there as a BMW technician. I learned so much about BMW’s that when I interviewed with them I knew the cars so well that I was able to use it as leverage to get my foot in the door. 

HCUCF: You’ve been able to intern for such a cool company, what’s your experience been like interning there so far?

JC: It’s been amazing. I have nothing to complain about. Imagine being able to go to work and getting paid to do something that you love to do. 

HCUCF: What made you want to apply there?

JC: Well what made me interested in BMW was their level of engineering craftsmanship, I noticed that when they do things, they do everything with a purpose. They don’t do things to just compete with competitors, they’re the ones that set the trends and take initiative of things to make a difference. 

HCUCF: What’s your favorite thing that you’ve done while interning there?

JC: Being involved in a lot of the future projects. Being able to know that the work that I’m doing is not going unseen because I physically see it today on the roads, and in dealerships around the world. And not only that, but I get to see that the things that I’ve done affecr models in the future and for years to come. I love knowing that I had a part in that. 

HCUCF: That’s awesome, so how did your interest in cars begin?

JC: When I was younger my dad worked on trucks, so what got me into cars was him. He was always rebuilding engines, and for some reason driving a Go-Kart or being underneath a car always really interested me. I was always that kid that would rather be playing with Hot Wheels than video games. 

HCUCF: Since I know you’re around cars a lot, what would be your ultimate dream car?

JC: Ultimate dream car? Thats a hard question. I don’t really have an ultimate dream car, I have an ultimate set of dream cars. There’s a lot of classic BMW’s that I like and also a lot Ferrari’s that I like too. 

HCUCF: Do you have any Netflix guilty pleasures?

JC: Well obviously since I’m a car guy, I’ve been watching a lot of Top Gear UK, (He claims it’s better than Top Gear U.S. because its not #fake) but also Narcos and Making a Murderer. 

HCUCF: What advice would you give to someone who is trying to land their dream internship?

JC: Do the correct things that get you on the route to it. Be a doer, not just a dreamer. Do things that will get you to the place that you want to be. Try to get jobs that will allow you to get closer to that place. 

HCUCF: Who is the person you admire most? 

JC: My mother! Because she took a leap of faith leaving Colombia to a land that she’s never been to, to provide us with a better future. She’s taught me a lot. 

HCUCF: What’s the best advice you’ve ever received?

JC: My mom has always taught me that money doesn’t get you anything, hard work and integrity gets you everything. Doing everything by the book, because the person you are is when no one is watching and the actions you take when no one is watching is who you really are. 

HCUCF: Describe yourself in three words

JC: Hardworking, humble, ambitious.

HCUCF: What are your plans after graduation?

JC: Hopefully land a job with BMW. If not, just graduate with a job. 

Paula is a senior Advertising and Public Relations major at UCF, patiently waiting to be mistaken as an Italian international pop senstation while on a school trip. She loves pizza, superhero movies, making her friends take pictures with her and caraoke. When she's not signging her heart out in the car, you can catch her trying to find the next best place to eat at in Orlando. Follow her on Instagram and see what her (food) dreams are made of. 
UCF Contributor