The Perfect Throwback Playlist to Bring Up Your Mood for Morning Classes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

We’ve all been there before: we register for classes months before the semester starts feeling confident in our ability to wake up for that 8 a.m., only to immediately regret our decision two weeks into the course. Some of you might be morning people, but I definitely am not. Forcing myself to get out of bed is always torture; I either have to chug a massive amount of caffeine-filled coffee or bring my spirits up by listening to some really cheesy (but incredibly mood-boosting) songs.

Because I know first-hand how hard it is to find the perfect tune to jam out to while preparing for doom—I mean class—I’ve compiled a list of my favorite throwback songs to listen to in the morning. These songs always make me feel better about signing up for those early classes, so if you’re like me and you’re struggling to get through the rest of the semester with a smile on your face, this is for you.

“The Tide is High” by Atomic Kittens

Yes, this is the opening song from The Lizzie McGuire Movie. No, I am not ashamed to say I still listen to it. You might not even know who this band is, but this song is sure to bring back childhood memories of simpler Disney Channel days. Who doesn’t want to be like Lizzie McGuire singing in their bathroom while they get ready for school?

“Here Comes The Sun” by The Beatles

This classic song can bring a smile to almost anyone’s face with its positive message and calming beat. If you have 8 a.m. classes, you probably wake up before the sun comes out. Imagine listening to this with a hot cup of coffee while you watch the sunrise from your bedroom window. Pure bliss. 

“Beautiful Day” by U2

Even if it sucks that you have to get out of bed, you should still look forward to a brand new day with new adventures. This song reinforces this idea with an awesome chorus that’s sure to inspire anyone to have a good day.

“Walking On Sunshine” by Katrina & The Waves

You’ve probably heard covers of this song, but the original has a retro vibe to it that can’t be beat. This song exudes positivity and always gives me an extra pep in my step when I listen to it.

“Dancing Queen” by ABBA

This song might not relate to the morning vibes like the others, but that doesn’t mean it won’t put you in a killer good mood. With more than 293 million views on YouTube, I’m guessing other people think so as well. While you’re at it, I suggest listening to other ABBA songs because they’re just as great. Maybe even watch the newest Mamma Mia movie if you wake up really early.

“Break My Stride” by Matthew Wilder

Ok, this is the weird one of the bunch. It starts off sounding kind of strange but if you pay attention to the lyrics to the chorus, they’re pretty motivational. This is a great song to play if you wake up on the wrong side of the bed because it gives you hope that your bad day might turn into a good one. Spoiler alert: they usually always do.

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Jarlisa is a senior Elementary Education major at UCF. In her free time, she enjoys binge watching The Office, playing with her two cats, or going to Disney World. She is an avid book reader with a soft spot for iced coffee and online shopping. Jarlisa is obsessed with digital art, Bruno Mars, and any movie by Tim Burton.
UCF Contributor