An Open Letter to My Best Friend As She Experiences Her First Heartbreak

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Dear Best Friend,

I just want to start off by saying that I love you. I am so grateful to have you in my life and I couldn’t have picked a better person to call my “sister.” The memories we have shared together will stay in my heart forever, and I can’t wait for the many more that we will create over the course of our college careers. I want you to be happy…to really live and experience life while we are young enough and have the room to make mistakes, be carefree, and really live. That’s why watching you go through this rough time is breaking my heart.

I know that no amount of advice or comfort can mend a broken heart, but I want to give it a try if that’s okay with you. You can take my words with a grain of salt, discard them, or not even read them, if you choose. But, I hope you do take my words into consideration, since I am only writing them to you because I have your best interest at heart.

You are strong. You might not hear that enough, so I want you to recognize that you are extremely stronger than you might know. The fact that you have endured the pain that is associated with the loss of your first love is a testament to the fact that you can take on anything, and kick its ass.

You are beautiful. Remember that you possess beauty in its most natural form, inside and out. Never look in the mirror and doubt yourself for one second. Don’t focus on flaws. Embrace the magnificence of how you look.

You are good enough. Not that you ever had to prove that to anyone, but I know you sometimes second guess yourself. You didn’t do anything wrong, I promise. I never want you to place the blame on you or feel as if you were the cause of this, because you weren’t. You tried. You did your best.

As cliché as it sounds, this old saying still holds true, everything happens for a reason. I wish I could have warned you that this was on the brink, gave you a heads up so you could have prepared for what was ahead. But I couldn’t, because that’s not how life works. This hurt that you are experiencing is tragic and it’s heartbreaking, but it also is something we all must go through. This time in your life is a time to reflect, to hurt, to be confused, to be regretful. But in the end, it will make you stronger, it will help form you into the woman that you will be. Though it might be rough right now, you will persevere, I know it. I just wanted you to know it too.

All my love,

Your Best Friend

Peyton is in her junior year at UCF. She is a journalism major and a political science minor. She has always had a passion for writing and enjoys  being a UCF HerCampus team member. Go Knights! 
UCF Contributor