Nostalgic Disney: Tapestry of Nations Parade at Epcot

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

One of my oldest memories is from way back in the summer of 2001. I was a mere two years old and my parents took me to Epcot with my grandma, as they did quite often since Mickey Mouse was my dad’s employer at the time. On this particular visit, I saw a parade of which I still today refer to as, “the best thing Epcot ever had.”

2y/o Emily watching a parade
Original photo by Emily Ryan

Tapestry of Nations was a parade that ran at sunset around the World Showcase at Epcot during Walt Disney World’s Millennium Celebration, from 1999 to 2001. The parade was themed around world peace and unity, and featured large rotating percussion floats, carrying over 100 puppets and costumed members. A variant of the parade was even the theme of Super Bowl XXXIV halftime show!

The puppet characters included Disc Man, a large character composed of discs with dreadlocks; Hammer Man, a character composed of metal; Aztec Man, a kite-like character with an Aztec-style face; The Sprite, a character with wings and a tail; Wiggle Girl, a character with hip movement; Angel Girl, another character with wings and a human face; Bird Man, a large, fan-like character with an avian-face; and Reverse Marionette, a large puppet that carried a smaller puppet in its arms. The Sage of Time was the leader of the parade, a stilt-walking character with an ornate white and gold-trimmed costume with a staff and a headpiece resembling the sun. The puppets were designed by the same person who designed the puppets for The Lion King on Broadway, among other shows for the Disney theme parks, Michael Curry.

Shaking hands with Hammer Man
Original photo by Emily Ryan

Wiggle Girl
Photo by Emily Ryan
Aside from its memorable composition of puppet characters, the parade was best known for its 30-minute musical score, written by Gavin Greenaway. In a 2016 interview with The MacGyver Project, Greenaway had this to say about the lyrics of the song: The words are made up to sound like a language, as I didn’t want to have some people understanding and others not. So, this way, nobody understands the words! But I chose the sounds and syllables to sound like some sort of proto-language. Very simple vowels and limited consonants. Each listener can attach their own meaning.”

You would recognize the soundtrack because it played while exiting the park following the fireworks show, IllumiNations: Reflections of Earth. It was also incorporated into the Celebration act of IllumiNations’ successor show, Epcot Forever, before its premature closure after only five months in March 2020.

Angel Girl
Original photo by Emily Ryan
Drum in the Tapestry of Nations Parade
Original photo by Emily Ryan

In 2001, Tapestry of Nations was rethemed into Tapestry of Dreams. Everything was kept the same, however, the Sage of Time was replaced by three elves called the Dreamseekers, who would carry nets to collect Dreamtale coins that young guests received at the Kidcot Fun Stops. In March 2003, Tapestry of Dreams was canceled as a result of safety concerns, issues with crowd control, and its own declining popularity.

Bird Man
Photo by Emily Ryan

Reverse Marionette
Photo by Emily Ryan

There’s something about that specific parade music that triggers the strongest nostalgia trip in me unlike anything else can. I remember hearing it for the first time in almost 20 years after the fireworks and suddenly I was back in 2001 with my grandma, who is no longer with us, and my parents, shaking hands and waving at all the puppet characters. Every time I hear it, be it in the park or on Disney Park radio stations, it takes me back to that place and that happy time in my life. Tapestry will always hold a special place in my heart for that reason.

Grandma and Hammer Man
Original photo by Emily Ryan

Emily Ryan is a Spring '23 BFA Film major at the University of Central Florida and a writer for the UCF chapter of Her Campus Magazine. A proud Pacific Islander, originally from the Winter Strawberry Capital of the World: Plant City, Florida. As a former Jungle Cruise Skipper at Magic Kingdom, Emily has ample entertainment experience under her belt, from hosting her own radio show, "Emily's Playhouse" on HCC HawkRadio, to performing for two years as Trixie the Usherette, Columbia the Groupie, and Eddie the Ex-Delivery Boy in a live shadowcast production of "The Rocky Horror Picture Show", and countless video productions, including a second place faux horror movie trailer for the Fall 2016 "813 Film Challenge" entitled, "The Other Side" and a third place music video for the Winter 2017 "813 Film Challenge" to Andra Day's 2015 song, "Rise Up". When she's not writing or going to school, you can catch Emily at her job at Rock 'N' Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith or Fantasmic! down Sunset Boulevard at Disney's Hollywood Studios! She also loves spending her free time watching shows and movies on various streaming services, making playlists on Spotify and Apple Music (Aerosmith fans rise!), getting tattoos, singing, playing her keyboard, amateur photography, engaging in a session of Dungeons & Dragons with her neighbors, cuddling her boyfriend, Tex, and of course, going to Disney World! Follow her on social media! TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@erryan1999 YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGkO4fWdKEV53LXFQP1wEXA? Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/user/124204150?si=cb1ea93978b1453d
UCF Contributor